Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting snippets of results without using [CODE]

I'd like to be able to post short passages of results (from Stata's Results window or a log file) into the message, but without all of the subtitle, background shading etc. that you get from the block-code BBCode. When I try, the editor automatically strips out multiple spaces and replaces them with a single space, which destroys the output's formatting. Even when I save to a log file and use filefilter , from(" ") to(\160d) before copying and pasting into the editor, the editor converts the hard spaces to soft spaces and then proceeds to collapse everything to a single space between characters.

The Forum Software FAQ has a subsection Basic BBCode. Is there an Advanced BBCode anywhere that would be applicable to the particular setup used for Statalist? Perhaps at vBulletin or somewhere similar? Mostly just to turn stuff off; I don't need the software to decide for me where and how many spaces I need in my posts.
    Last edited by Joseph Coveney; 16 Apr 2014, 01:50.

I second this request. I thought the solution would be to use Courier New but multiple spaces are still replaced by a single space (see the example below).

. sysuse auto
    (1978 Automobile Data)

. sum mpg

Variable | Obs Mean Std. Dev. Min Max
    -------------+--------------------------------------------------------
    mpg | 74 21.2973 5.785503 12 41

Comment

But why so picky about the background shading? After all, it will preserve the space characters while clearly indicating that you are quoting commands or you are showing output from the results window, see: http://www.statalist.org/forums/foru...=1779#post1779 .
      Last edited by Dirk Enzmann; 17 Apr 2014, 11:56.

Comment

I have nothing against code boxes but the "Code:" header is inappropriate. The table below is not code.

Code:
            Variable |       Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
        -------------+--------------------------------------------------------
                 mpg |        74     21.2973    5.785503         12         41

Comment

I don't have anything against the block-code display, either. I would just rather not have results or output in the format intended for use with block code. Apparently, we are limited to these BBCodes as Statalist is currently set up.

I can get output to retain its appearance, but it's a kludge that I would rather not have do each time.

It would be better for code and output to be readily distinguishable, but I realize that that would require custom BBCode programming on the part of the forum's administrators, even just to allow users to change the background color. There are enough wrinkles for the administrators to iron out as it is without burdening them with a wishlist at this early stage--even some of the BBCodes that are supposed to work don't--and getting the advertised functionality to work properly will naturally have a higher priority for the time being. But eventually, when things settle down, it would be good to add a little customization that I see for other forums around the Internet.

Comment

Working...
          X