No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error message with usespss

Dear all,

I'm trying to open a dataset with over 25 million observations using usespss. After running the command I am getting the following message: "Exception ERangeError in module ST_5b0_000002.tmp at 0001AE09. Range check error." After that, Stata does not open the file and I get an error with return code 601 (file not found).

I am currently using Stata 15.

Thanks in advance for any help,

David Gutierrez

I'd be fairly confident that this problem goes deep into the inner workings of -usespss-, which as you might know, is a user-contributed command, rather than something built-in to Stata. The author as identified in -help usespss- is likely to be the only one that might help you. I would not be surprised if the program was not designed for a 25 million observation file.
    All that being said, I see from the help that -usespss- allows for loading a subset of the data, so for diagnostic and possible work-around purposes, you might try loading (say) the first 1 million observations with
    Code:
    usespss YourFile.sav in 1/1000000

Comment

Hello David,

Were You able to resolve the problem? Is it due to the number of variables or the number of observations

Comment

Want to load an spss file to stata as below:
        usespss "myfile.sav", clear

Getting error below:
        This command works only in 32-bit Stata for Windows
        Your operating system is: Unix
        Your machine type is: PC (64-bit x86-64)

Have tried net from http://radyakin.org/transfer/usespss/beta , it returns nothing

Comment

Originally posted by cib ica View Post
          Want to load an spss file to stata as below:
          usespss "myfile.sav", clear

Getting error below:
          This command works only in 32-bit Stata for Windows
          Your operating system is: Unix
          Your machine type is: PC (64-bit x86-64)

Have tried net from http://radyakin.org/transfer/usespss/beta , it returns nothing
          As indicated in the error, you are using a 64-bit Unix machine, but -usespss- only works on a 32-bit Windows machine. Typing -help usespss- will lead you to a description of the command which also indicates the Windows-only nature of the plugin. This is further discussed in a presentation by the plugin's author.

Comment

Thank you Leonardo.
            Was following advise given here, could be it refers to ms windows only.

Comment

Originally posted by cib ica View Post
              Thank you Leonardo.
              Was following advise given here, could be it refers to ms windows only.
              Yes, that is described on the quoted web page for the beta.

Currently there is no version and no plans to create a version of -usespss- for OS other than Windows (Mac or Linux).

If you are using Windows 64-bit and Stata 64-bit, .....try the new version
              You could try to borrow someone's Windows machine to covert this if it's a one-off need, or invest in StatTransfer.

Comment

Working...
              X