No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIS database help

Hi,
    I am realtively new to large database analysis and trying to work on the NIS 2011 database. Does anyone know a good source of information/video on how to perform analysis in NIS? Thanks in advance

Hi Anika, and welcome to Statalist!

So, I assume by NIS you mean the National Inpatient Sample (NIS) (Hospital stays in the United States).

1) There are a number of tutorials here. I would start with this one (even though it is very long).

2) Documentation is available here

3) Stata data for the NIS is available here

Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by David Benson View Post
      Hi Anika, and welcome to Statalist!

So, I assume by NIS you mean the National Inpatient Sample (NIS) (Hospital stays in the United States).

1) There are a number of tutorials here. I would start with this one (even though it is very long).

2) Documentation is available here

3) Stata data for the NIS is available here

Hope that helps!
      Dear David,
      Thanks for your message
      I have already read the page but it did not seem to help me (may be because I am new to Stata). I have already used the LOAD file and was able to see the data in STATA (NIS 2011 has 8,023,590 observation). Do you know of any resource which can help me from here?
      For example how can I make a seperate file of DX1 = acute pancreatitis (ICD-9 code 577.0)

Comment

Originally posted by Anika Mangal View Post
        Do you know of any resource which can help me from here?
        It sounds like you would benefit most from a general introduction to Stata and its ways of doing things. Look into the resources suggested in this recent thread. I, myself, started with the book that Joro recommends there (although it was with a much earlier edition).

To your specific example, you can try something like
        Code:
        keep if DX1 == "577.0"
        save acute_pancreatitis

Comment

Also, if you go into Help > Search > and enter "ICD", you'll see that Stata has a number of built-in commands and user-written commands to use with ICD codes (both ICD-9 and ICD-10).

Comment

Originally posted by David Benson View Post
            Also, if you go into Help > Search > and enter "ICD", you'll see that Stata has a number of built-in commands and user-written commands to use with ICD codes (both ICD-9 and ICD-10).
            Thank you David

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Coveney View Post
              It sounds like you would benefit most from a general introduction to Stata and its ways of doing things. Look into the resources suggested in this recent thread. I, myself, started with the book that Joro recommends there (although it was with a much earlier edition).

To your specific example, you can try something like
              Code:
              keep if DX1 == "577.0"
              save acute_pancreatitis
              That is a big help. I was using only one =
              Thanks. Appreciate it
              Anika

Comment

Would anyone be willing to share a do file of any NIS analysis they have done in the past. I want to use it as an example for STATA learning. I am also open for any research collaboration. Thank you in advance.

Comment

Hi.. I am slowly learning about the NIS analysis in STATA with the help of STATLIST and youtube videos.
                  Can anyone help me about how can I combine multiple year NIS data without compromising it?
                  Thanks
                  Anika

Comment

Hi..
                    Could someone give tips on how to combine the multiyear NIS database without compromising the information?
                    TIA

Comment

Hi, I am new to STATA and need help with NIS, I have loaded the NIS data, how to extract the outcome of interest variables, this is like too much data so I need some orientation

Comment

Working...
                      X