No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concatenating strings piece by piece

Dear Statalisters,

I want to concatenate two string variables. Instead of combining them using e.g. concat() I need them to be combined "piece-wise". That is, letter 1 in variable A (e.g. gender) corresponds to letter 1 in variable B (e.g.origin) and so on. Ideally, a delimiter should be added between the "pieces".

What I have:
    Code:
    clear  
    input str20 (A B)   
    1111 2345
    end
    What I need:
    Code:
    clear  
    input str20 (A B C)   
    1111 2345 12_13_14_15
    end
    There might be solutions available that combine multiple loops and temp variables, but I was wondering if there is a more straightforward way to do this. Naturally, the actual number of observations is much larger and I am aware that this is not an optimal way to organize data.

Thank you and best regards
    Sebastian

Originally posted by Sebastian Schirner View Post

I want to concatenate two string variables. Instead of combining them using e.g. concat() I need them to be combined "piece-wise".
    This is an interesting problem, but you have posted it on the wrong forum. Repost it on the General Forum.

Comment

Thank you for making me aware of this mistake. The post is in the other forum now.

Comment

Reposted and answered at https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...piece-by-piece

Comment

Working...
        X