No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross product

Hi,

I'm new to Mata and I'm still getting my feet wet, so apologies if this is a dumb question.

I'm a little confused about some of the terminology, particularly with respect to the -cross- function.

The manual states that this computes matrix multiplication of the form X'X.

My question is this: Is this a common use of the term cross product? I've only learned cross product as the product of two vectors that produces a third, orthogonal vector (as in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_product). Is this just a terminology issue or is there something that I'm missing about how those two relate to one another? I've noticed similar uses of the term cross product in Cameron & Trivedi's Microeconometrics text.

Thanks in advance.

The manual states that this computes matrix multiplication of the form X'X.
    The result of that computation is known in statistics as the matrix of sums of squares and cross-products of the data, or more tersely as the cross-products matrix. This is a different etymology than that for the cross-product of two vectors in linear algebra.

If we think of the original matrix X as having k columns and n rows (k variables and n observations), and let Z = X'X, then Z will be a k-by-k matrix with Z[i,j] = X[i,1]X[j,1] + ... + X[i,n]X[j,n]. So the diagonal elements are the sums over all the observations of of the squares of the 1st, 2nd, ..., k-th variables, and the off-diagonal elements Z[i,j] are the sums over all the observations of the products of the i-th and j-th variables. The term "cross-product" means the product of two variables in a given observation, and those cross products are summed across the observations to form the cross-products matrix.

Comment

Working...
    X