Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sum of an infinite series

Hello there. I would like to know and learn how Stata staff usually does when programming a statistical method that involves the sum of an infinite series. Suppose that each subject i in a sample of size n has two random variables: a latent variable Yi follows a Poisson distribution with mean λi, and an observed variable Xi follows a Bernoulli distribution with probability πi that is certain function of the first variable, i.e. πi = f(Yi). Does Stata (Mata in particular) provide any function(s) for approximating the following summation?

\[ \sum_{y=0}^{\infty} f(Y_i)^{X_i} [1-f(Y_i)]^{1-X_i} \biggl( \frac{\lambda_i^{Y_i}}{Y_i!}e^{-\lambda_i} \biggl) \]

The only way I know for the moment is to use the while loop and do the summation from y=0 and stop the loop when the change between iterations is smaller than a certain value, e.g. 1e-8. However, this way is inefficient, because subjects have different λi and Xi, and the numbers of loop to achieve the stop criterion vary over subjects. Therefore I am looking for more clever methods.

I know that, for certain forms of continous variables, Stata performs Gauss–Hermite quadrature to approximate the values of integrals, and the undocumented Mata function _gauss_hermite_nodes() can help us to do so. I wonder whether there are Stata/Mata functions that can help out in approximating the sum of an infinite series for discrete variabels.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Kirin_Guess; 06 Feb 2019, 18:43.

A similar challenge would be to solve the following equation: A=exp(nM), in which A and M art square matrices of the same order. In this equation, exp(nM) defines an infinite power series, and A is known. How should one write a Mata program to solve for M? Help is deeply appreciated.

Comment

Jeronimo Muniz

This should be another question. The matrix exponential is unique, but the matrix logarithm is not. However, it's fairly easy to find a solution, using the eigendecomposition.

Code:
      mata
      a=rnormal(4,4,0,1)

/* compute the exponential */
      eigensystem(a,p=.,d=.)
      b=p*diag(exp(d))*qrinv(p)

/* compute the logarithm */
      eigensystem(b,p=.,d=.)
      c=p*diag(log(d))*qrinv(p)

norm(a-c)
      end
      There are other ways. For instance, when the matrix is not diagonalizable, you can use the Lagrange-Hermite interpolation polynomial on the matrix spectrum (see this).
      See also "Functions of Matrices" by Nick Higham.

HTH

Jean-Claude Arbaut

Comment

Kirin_Guess

This doesn't answer the question, but note that _gauss_hermite_nodes is actually documented. However, _gauss_laguerre_nodes and _gauss_legendre_nodes are not.

Jean-Claude Arbaut
        Last edited by Jean-Claude Arbaut; 26 Apr 2019, 04:01.

Comment

Working...
        X