Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swap columns and rows of e(b) and e(V)

Hi all,

I am new to mata, but I think this issue can be solved by mata.

I am wondering how to swap rows (and columns) based on the names of the columns (and rows) in stata. For example, the e(b) matrix I get is shown in Impage 3.png. What I would like to achieve is to swap columns so that all the columns associated with equation 1 (equ1) precede all columns associated with equation 2 (equ2) etc. And for columns of a single equation, the variables are also in a particular order-cons, lnmp lnp1 lnp2 lnp3 lnp4 lnp5 lnp6.

I have already saved the result in result.ster (https://1drv.ms/u/s!An6r3b9xWElTl0ETiaVzoRzSJST2).

Thank you all in advance
    Attached Files

I don't see Mata as relevant to the solution. I think this is a tedious problem, and I'm not up to providing a complete solution, but I can suggest how I would approach it, at least the part that involves moving columns of e(b). Also, your description of what you want is not clear to me, so I'm *guessing* you to mean that you want a matrix with all the equ1 columns first, then all the equ2 columns, and then all the equN columns. Within each block of (e.g.) equ1, I'm *guessing* you want columns ordered as they were in e(b).

First, I'd use the extended macro function -colnames- to obtain a local containing the column names (see - help extended_fcn-).
    Code:
    mat B = e(b)
    local cnames: colnames B
    Then, I would loop over the column names, and concatenate the columns associated with a particular equation (e.g., equ1) into a Stata matrix. For example:
    Code:
    local foundfirst = 0
    local j = 0
    foreach cn of local cnames {
         local ++j
         if (strpos("`cn'", "equ1") & (`foundfirst' == 0)) { 
              mat EQ1 = B[1..`R',`j']
              local foundfirst == 1
         }
         else if (strpos("`cn'", "equ1") & (`foundfirst' == 1)) {
              mat EQ1 = (EQ1, B[1..`R',`j']
         }
    }
    Presuming you do this with all of equ1, ..., equN, you could then put them together as you like:
    Code:
    mat EQ = (EQ1, EQ2, ..., EQN)
    Since I didn't have anything on which to test this code, there are likely errors, but it should at least give the idea of my approach.
    Last edited by Mike Lacy; 20 Nov 2018, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lacy View Post
      I don't see Mata as relevant to the solution. I think this is a tedious problem, and I'm not up to providing a complete solution, but I can suggest how I would approach it, at least the part that involves moving columns of e(b). Also, your description of what you want is not clear to me, so I'm *guessing* you to mean that you want a matrix with all the equ1 columns first, then all the equ2 columns, and then all the equN columns. Within each block of (e.g.) equ1, I'm *guessing* you want columns ordered as they were in e(b).

First, I'd use the extended macro function -colnames- to obtain a local containing the column names (see - help extended_fcn-).
      Code:
      mat B = e(b)
      local cnames: colnames B
      Then, I would loop over the column names, and concatenate the columns associated with a particular equation (e.g., equ1) into a Stata matrix. For example:
      Code:
      local foundfirst = 0
      local j = 0
      foreach cn of local cnames {
      local ++j
      if (strpos("`cn'", "equ1") & (`foundfirst' == 0)) {
      mat EQ1 = B[1..`R',`j']
      local foundfirst == 1
      }
      else if (strpos("`cn'", "equ1") & (`foundfirst' == 1)) {
      mat EQ1 = (EQ1, B[1..`R',`j']
      }
      }
      Presuming you do this with all of equ1, ..., equN, you could then put them together as you like:
      Code:
      mat EQ = (EQ1, EQ2, ..., EQN)
      Since I didn't have anything on which to test this code, there are likely errors, but it should at least give the idea of my approach.
      Thanks, Mike. This strategy works well.

Comment

Bo: While Mike's solution works for your purposes, if you wanted to do this work in Mata I think it's possible with careful use of st_matrixcolstripe(.) and sort(.). Here is the essence of the idea.
        Code:
        mata

b=st_matrix("e(b)")
        v=st_matrix("e(V)")
        sb=st_matrixcolstripe("e(b)")
        sba=sb,strofreal(1::rows(sb))
        sbas=sort(sba,(1,2))
        sind=strtoreal(sbas[.,cols(sbas)])
        bsort=b[sind]
        vsort=v[sind,sind]

end
        In your example I think
        Code:
        sb=st_matrixcolstripe("e(b)")
        will return a kx2 string matrix with nonmissing elements in the first column (check this). If so then the key issue is whether
        Code:
        sbas=sort(sba,(1,2))
        orders the names as you desire. You might have to play around with the sort order to get the results you want, but I think it's doable.

Comment

Working...
        X