Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find unique elements of vector?

Hi, I am wondering if a mata command exists for finding the unique values within a vector -- similar to R's unique command, where Au <- unique(A) returns a vector identical to A, but with all repeated values deleted. If for instance, I have A = [1 2 3 3 4 5 5 5 6 6 6 6], I would like the unique command to return a new vector [1 2 3 4 5 6 ]. (The ordering by value is specific to my situation, but of course A might more generally have values that repeat randomly across indices.)

If no mata command exists (and I couldn't find one in the manual), I'd love tips on coding this up! Thanks in advance.

Mata has functions and not commands. Indeed, the same is true of R, roughly. Also, unique values occur once only; despite usages elsewhere distinct is arguably a better term for what you seek.

Nevertheless, StataCorp doesn't feel obliged to follow my advice.

Code:
    search unique Mata
    will point to a function uniqrows().

Legal code would help here:

Code:
    . mata
    ------------------------------------------------- mata (type end to exit) -------
    :  A = (1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6)

: uniqrows(A')
        +-----+
      1 |  1  |
      2 |  2  |
      3 |  3  |
      4 |  4  |
      5 |  5  |
      6 |  6  |
        +-----+
    As the example shows, you will need to transpose a row vector first; equally you can transpose the result back if you wish.

Comment

Hi Leah,

The function you're looking for is uniqrows(). It pulls out the unique rows of a matrix, so if you have a column vector (as above) and you'd like the returned variable to be a column vector, you'll need to make use of transposition as in the following

Code:
      mata:

A = (1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6)
      uniqrows(A')'

end

Comment

Thank you both, very much! Nick, quite right, command was the wrong term. I was stuck in stata-speak. : ) And good point about the transposing, though in this instance I was working with a column vector anyway. Thanks both again, I feel silly for missing that *function* in the mata manual.

Comment

Working...
        X