No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Export Mata string matrix to Stata and Excel

Hello
    I'm working with string and numeric vectors in mata, and I need to export them to Excel. For numeric vectors, I use the matrix conversion to Stata and then the putexcel command, but for the string case I don't know what to do, because Stata does not admit "string" vectors. So, any help will be welcome!
    Best

Can't you pass the string vector directly from Mata via its xl() class? In Stata's command line, type
    Code:
    help mf_xl
    for further information.

Comment

You may use -getmata- to turn the Mata matrix into a Stata dataset, then use -export excel-, for example

Code:
      . mata:
      ------------------------------------------------- mata (type end to exit) ------
      : 
      : A = J(3, 2, "test")

: 
      : A
                1      2
          +---------------+
        1 |  test   test  |
        2 |  test   test  |
        3 |  test   test  |
          +---------------+

: 
      : end
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. getmata (var*) = A

. list

+-------------+
           | var1   var2 |
           |-------------|
        1. | test   test |
        2. | test   test |
        3. | test   test |
           +-------------+

. export excel using test.xlsx, replace
      file test.xlsx saved

Comment

I came up with a good solution to this problem. You can use the colnames/rownames function, which lets you give your Stata matrix column and row names (in string!). If your exist matrix has these already, simply create a blank matrix and use the function purely to get a bunch of text into a matrix.

In my application I made a blank (empty) matrix of the correct dimensions, and then gave the headings I needed. For example, I wanted to place the text "count count mean mean median median" above 6 of my columns, and paste a different matrix (with its own headings) below.

My code looked like this:

Code:
        matrix colempty=J(1,6,.)
        matrix colnames colempty=count count mean mean median median
        putexcel a1=matrix(colempty), colnames

Comment

Working...
        X