No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No F-Test value

Hello,

I've performed a linear regression analyses, that reaches an R-squared of 0.22. But the field for the F-value (18, 124) is left empty in the stata output. Can anyone tell me, why this is the case?

Thanks!

Showing your commands and output could greatly help. This might or might not apply to your case.

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archi.../msg00646.html
    -------------------------------------------
    Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
    Stata Version: 17.0 MP (2 processor)

EMAIL: [email protected]
    WWW: https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam

Comment

Hi,

I've attached the output and command as photo. Thanks for your hint. I do have included one dummy variable, that is 1 in only one single case. However, removing that variable from the model does not help to get a F-value

Comment

Christopher:
        my gut-feeling is that you have too many clusters (50) for such a limited number of observations (159).
        Does F-value come alive when default SEs are invoked?
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thanks Carlo, indeed you are right. When I do not cluster SEs, then the F-value gets calculated. Hmm. So what can I do? Of course I want to cluster and in my eyes 50 clusters for 159 observations is not so uncommon, since panel data with a mean of three observed years is not that seldomn...

Comment

Christopher:
            the issue with clustered SEs may rest on a negligible between-cluster variance.
            Has any variable repeated values within the 3-year span of time?
            Did you perform an acid test about this via -xtsum-?
            Does anything changes when you switch to -xtreg-?
            Kind regards,
            Carlo
            (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

FWIW, I think the ancient Statalist post by Vince that Richard linked to in #2 is the explanation. For some reason (could be singleton dummies, could be something else), the G matrix in Vince's post that is the filling of the robust VCE sandwich DGD is not full rank. This isn't necessarily a problem for tests of individual parameters for the reasons Vince suggested, but Christopher wants an F stat for the model. It looks like that's not going to be possible, because an F stat for the model means a joint test of all the regressors, and that can't be done because #regressors > rank(G).

One last thought - in the regress output, the coeff on xtc7 is essentially zero. Looks like it could be roundoff error rather than a real coefficient estimate. Maybe if you drop this coefficient (should probably do that anyway), the F stat will also reappear.

Comment

Thanks for your comments.
                I found out that I can still calculate the F-Value using the "test" command. Could that be a propper way to solve the problem?
                http://www.stata.com/statalist/archi.../msg00583.html

Comment

Christopher:
                  you can safely follow the road pointed out by Roger, as in the following example:
                  Code:
                  . use auto.dta, clear
                  (1978 Automobile Data)

. reg price foreign mpg

Source |       SS       df       MS              Number of obs =      74
                  -------------+------------------------------           F(  2,    71) =   14.07
                         Model |   180261702     2  90130850.8           Prob > F      =  0.0000
                      Residual |   454803695    71  6405685.84           R-squared     =  0.2838
                  -------------+------------------------------           Adj R-squared =  0.2637
                         Total |   635065396    73  8699525.97           Root MSE      =  2530.9

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                         price |      Coef.   Std. Err.      t    P>|t|     [95% Conf. Interval]
                  -------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
                       foreign |   1767.292    700.158     2.52   0.014     371.2169    3163.368
                           mpg |  -294.1955   55.69172    -5.28   0.000    -405.2417   -183.1494
                         _cons |   11905.42   1158.634    10.28   0.000     9595.164    14215.67

. testparm mpg foreign

( 1)  foreign = 0
                   ( 2)  mpg = 0

F(  2,    71) =   14.07
                              Prob > F =    0.0000
                  or, sticking with your original query:
                  Code:
                  . use auto.dta, clear
                  (1978 Automobile Data)

. reg price foreign mpg, cluster(foreign)

Linear regression                                      Number of obs =      74
                                                                         F(  0,     1) =       .
                                                                         Prob > F      =       .
                                                                         R-squared     =  0.2838
                                                                         Root MSE      =  2530.9

(Std. Err. adjusted for 2 clusters in foreign)
                               |               Robust
                         price |      Coef.   Std. Err.      t    P>|t|     [95% Conf. Interval]
                  -------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
                       foreign |   1767.292   195.3672     9.05   0.070     -715.084    4249.668
                           mpg |  -294.1955   39.50161    -7.45   0.085    -796.1111    207.7201
                         _cons |   11905.42   783.1955    15.20   0.042     1953.973    21856.86

. testparm mpg foreign

( 1)  foreign = 0
                   ( 2)  mpg = 0
                         Constraint 2 dropped

F(  1,     1) =   81.83
                              Prob > F =    0.0701
                  Last edited by Carlo Lazzaro; 06 Mar 2015, 09:43.
                  Kind regards,
                  Carlo
                  (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

I do have included one dummy variable, that is 1 in only one single case. However, removing that variable from the model does not help to get a F-value
                    FWIW, if there are any singleton clusters, that, too, will cause G to be singular. The solution then is to exclude those clusters or, if possible, combine them with other reasonably similar clusters.

Comment

In Carlo's output above (the last one): Why is constraint 2 dropped? Is it possibly the existence of singleton clusters?
                      Can the calculated F-value (1, 1) be used for describing the model that should have an f-value (0, 1)?

Comment

Christopher:
                        as far as your first question is concerned, constraint #2 is dropped because, as reported in -help j_robustsingular-:
                        Are you using a svy estimator or did you specify the vce(cluster clustvar) option?

The VCE you have just estimated is not of sufficient rank to perform the model test. As discussed in [R] test, the model test with clustered or survey data is distributed as
                        F(k,d-k+1) or chi2(k), where k is the number of constraints and d=number of clusters or d=number of PSUs minus the number of strata. Because the rank of the VCE is at most d and
                        the model test reserves 1 degree of freedom for the constant, at most d-1 constraints can be tested, so k must be less than d. The model that you just fit does not meet this
                        requirement.
                        Sorry, but I cannot follow your second question.
                        Kind regards,
                        Carlo
                        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thank you!

My second question was: Can the F-Value of 81.83 be used in order to describe the model "reg price foreign mpg, cluster(foreign)", that reports the F-value as missing? I guess it is a good approximation.

Comment

Christopher:
                            I would be cautious, because the toy model is basically ill-specified.
                            At the top of that, even with one single constraint te F-test is not statistical significant (favouring an intercept-only model).
                            In conclusion, considering a limping F-test as an acceptable proxy of what should have been in a ideal scenario is, at the end of the day, a matter of personal judgement call.
                            Kind regards,
                            Carlo
                            (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X