Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New version of -mycd10- available on SSC: support for ICD-10 chapters and block groups

Thanks as always to Kit Baum, there are new versions of mycd10 and mycd10p available on SSC. mycd10 and mycd10p are adaptations of Stata's icd9 and icd9p for the ICD-10 coding system. The main improvement in this version is the ability to categorize ICD-10 diagnosis codes using the defined block groups or chapters. Thanks to Joanna Davies from King's College in London for suggesting this feature.

In the ICD-10 diagnosis code system, a "block" is the first three characters of the ICD-10 code and gives a general idea of what the code is about. These blocks are categorized into 262 block groups, which range in size from 1-50 blocks, but which are typically 5-10 blocks. These block groups are further categorized into 22 chapters.

To make use of the block group and chapter description files provided by the WHO, users must run the mycd10 prepare chapter and mycd10 prepare block commands. These commands create lookup data sets that can be used with mycd10 generate to create new variables containing these descriptions, and with mycd10 lookup to interactively display the descriptions for particular ICD-10 diagnosis codes.

The new version also allows the use of myicd10 and myicd10p as synonyms for mycd10 and mycd10p, respectively. Thanks to Svend Juul for this suggestion.

To update your version of mycd10, type ssc install mycd10, replace. To install it for the first time, type ssc install mycd10.
    Last edited by Joe Canner; 15 Jan 2015, 14:16.

Dear Joe Canner,

That's really awesome!

I need to employ much more frequently the ICD-10 codes, rather than ICD-9's. Thanks a lot for the information!

Best,

Marcos
    Best regards,

Marcos

Comment

I have installed and successfully used mycd10. I have noted that some icd10 codes don't show up when I use mycd10 lookup, for example the N52 series that includes the erectile dysfunction diagnoses. Thanks

Comment

Thanks Joe. Even with the most recent version of mycd10, the N52 code (a common one) does not show up thru either the lookup (try mycd10 lookup N50/N60) or search.
        Thanks

Comment

cd,

The lookup table for mycd10 is supplied by the user and is usually obtained from WHO. First check your codes.txt file (or whatever it is called) and see if N52 is in the file. If not, you will need to get an updated file from WHO.

What version of Stata are you using? If you have, or can get, Stata 14, it has an icd10 command which may be more up-to-date.

Regards,
          Joe

Comment

I do have Stata 14 and the lookup doesn't do ranges such as lookup N50/N60, nor does it have the search function at all. Not very functional. FYI

Comment

I think there is a mix-up somewhere:

1. mycd10 lookup N50/N60 produces the following output:
              Code:
              11 matches found:
                  N50      Other disorders of male genital organs*
                  N50.0    Atrophy of testis
                  N50.1    Vascular disorders of male genital organs
                  N50.8    Other specified disorders of male genital organs
                  N50.9    Disorder of male genital organs, unspecified
                  N51      Disorders of male genital organs in diseases classified elsewhere*
                  N51.0    Disorders of prostate in diseases classified elsewhere
                  N51.1    Disorders of testis and epididymis in diseases classified elsewhere
                  N51.2    Balanitis in diseases classified elsewhere
                  N51.8    Other disorders of male genital organs in diseases classified elsewhere
                  N60      Benign mammary dysplasia*
              If your version does not produce this output, please send me the output that is produced so that I can determine the problem.

2. icd10 lookup N50/N60 produces the following output
              Code:
              "N50/N60" invalid: only one ICD-10 code allowed
              r(198);
              If this is what you are getting, then you need to take this up with StataCorp. This is the way Stata 14's icd10 command was designed, but perhaps you can suggest that they improve the command in the next version.

3. Both lookup mycd10 N52 and icd10 lookup N52 return the message "(no matches found)". N52 is a new code with the 2015/2016 version of icd-10. Apparently, Stata has not released an updated version of icd10 which includes this code. mycd10 requires that the user update the lookup database himself/herself. mycd10 is obsoleted by Stata 14's icd10 in this regard. It's not clear to me whether you are using icd10 or mycd10, but in either case the problem finding N52 is not with mycd10.

Also, please be more specific about the lack of a search function in mycd10. I would be happy to make improvements to the program if you have a specific suggestion.

Comment

cd and Joe,

icd10 lookup does not take a range and icd10 search (to look up codes from text in a description) was not implemented in order to comply with our license agreement with WHO. This differs from mycd10 which assumes that the end user has license to the codes.

WHO provides its own search utility, which you can access http://apps.who.int/classifications/...browse/2016/en. Other years are available as well.

Regards,
                Rebecca

Comment

Thanks Joe . My output from mycd10 is exactly the same as yours. The ability to do ranges is very helpful and saves toggling back and forth to the WHO website. If the N52 code is new code for 2015/2016 that would explain why it is not included in my current installation. On the WHO website where you recommend downloading the text files for the mycd10 preparation steps the most recent text file available is from 2010. The more recent versions are in ClaML format--do you have any advice on how to import with your preparation method. http://apps.who.int/classifications/.../Download.aspx
                  Thanks.

CDM

Comment

Joe, I find the functionality of mycd10 to be superior to the Stata icd10 built in command because of the ability of mycd10 to accept ranges and do the search that Rebecca Pope notes can't be implemented in icd10 because of license issues.
                    So, I am trying to update the mycd10 to include the most recent release from WHO. (I do have the end user license.) The last year that the tabular format of the WHO files were available seems to be 2010. I have been able to open the 2015 WHO files that are in xml format using Excel. It appears to me that instead of 3 separate files for "blocks, chapters and codes" all of the information is included in the one file. It seems that the "prepare" commands in mycd10 require separate text files for blocks, chapters, and codes with specific delimiters. So, my more specific question is: are you aware of any conversion of the single xml file (for 2015, for example) into the separate blocks, chapters and codes files that can be use in the preparation step for mycd10?
                    Thanks
                    CDM
                    I am using Stata 14.

Comment

The website listed in the mycd10 help file no longer exists:
                      https://www.who.int/about/who-we-are...cies/copyright

The website that details how users can apply for a non-commercial license is below:
                      WHO ICD 10 non-commercial license
                      https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=b2c8a69a_0

email: [email protected]
                      Companies wishing to obtain an internal licence are asked to provide the following information and send this to [email protected]
                      - Name and address of organization.
                      - Name and job title of person signing the licence.
                      - Name of the organization’s information system in which ICD-10 will be incorported
                      - A short summary of the intended use of WHO classifications within your organisation's information systems. Please include a selection of screen shots from the product that illustrate how WHO classifications is used in the product. This information will not be used by WHO for any purpose other than compiling data on the use of WHO classifications and shall not be transmitted outside of WHO.
                      - Number of concurrent users accessing WHO classifications within the organization.

Comment

Working...
                      X