Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issues

I noticed a couple issues when posting earlier.
    1. It seems that files with extension .mata are not allowed as attachments.
    2. Emoticon images are automatically inserted. For example, :p becomes , I think. This can lead to unintended emoticons if a user doesn't wrap their code in [code][/code]. I can't duplicate this now, so maybe this feature has been disabled?
    3. The announcement for the new forum says LaTeX can be used, but I didn't find anything in the Forum Software FAQ about how to include LaTeX.

Ah, never mind my second item. The FAQ says that is something users can disable themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by James Fiedler View Post
      I noticed a couple issues when posting earlier.
      1. It seems that files with extension .mata are not allowed as attachments.
      2. Emoticon images are automatically inserted. For example, :p becomes , I think. This can lead to unintended emoticons if a user doesn't wrap their code in [code][/code]. I can't duplicate this now, so maybe this feature has been disabled?
      3. The announcement for the new forum says LaTeX can be used, but I didn't find anything in the Forum Software FAQ about how to include LaTeX.
      1) fixed.

2) Emoticons and other BBCodes are indeed automatically parsed. The ones which are pretty likely to occur in code ( :p :D :o ) have been modified to require a "-" for a nose, as those forms of them are much less likely to occur. If any of the emoticons interfere, we can change their ddefinitions.

3) Ah -- yes, it would be good for that to be added to the Forum Software part of the FAQ. The forum is using MathJax to render LaTeX math. Here are a couple of examples from the MathJax demo page:

A cross product formula:

\[
      \mathbf{V}_1 \times \mathbf{V}_2 = \begin{vmatrix}
      \mathbf{i} & \mathbf{j} & \mathbf{k} \\
      \frac{\partial X}{\partial u} & \frac{\partial Y}{\partial u} & 0 \\
      \frac{\partial X}{\partial v} & \frac{\partial Y}{\partial v} & 0
      \end{vmatrix}
      \]

which was produced with

Code:
      \[
      \mathbf{V}_1 \times \mathbf{V}_2 = \begin{vmatrix}
      \mathbf{i} & \mathbf{j} & \mathbf{k} \\
      \frac{\partial X}{\partial u} & \frac{\partial Y}{\partial u} & 0 \\
      \frac{\partial X}{\partial v} & \frac{\partial Y}{\partial v} & 0
      \end{vmatrix}
      \]
      An inline equation: \(\sqrt{3x-1}+(1+x)^2\), because it is nice to have the ability to mix math and text in a paragraph.

which was produced with

Code:
      An inline equation: \(\sqrt{3x-1}+(1+x)^2\), because it is nice to have the ability to mix math and text in a paragraph.
      Note that when you first make a post or a reply with LaTeX in it, you may have to re-load the page you are on before you see the LaTeX rendered. It may appear as code until you do a fresh reload. Others who view the page will always see it properly, however.
      Last edited by Alan Riley (StataCorp); 31 Mar 2014, 13:11.

Comment

Alan,

The bit at the end showing the LaTeX examples is very helpful. Could it find its way into the forum FAQ?

Comment

Working...
        X