No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• command export excel

Dear all,

Few cases supports the "export excel" command? or I'm wrong or use the command

code:

export excel using "`dir_HCG'\D_obs_serv_16_HCG.xls", firstrow(variables) replace
    too many or no observations specified

thank you very much

Export as D_obs_serv_16_HCG.xlsx, not D_obs_serv_16_HCG.xls. The .xls file ending tells it to use Excel '97/2003 format, which has a 255 column/65,536 case limit. The .xlsx file ending tells it yo use the newer format, which has a 16,384 column/1,048,576 row limit.

Comment

change the file format to xlsx and displays the error:

. cd "`dir_HCG'"
      D:\Mis documentos\Rev_mat_statav3\HCG

. export excel using "D_obs_serv_16_HCG.xlsx", firstrow(variables) replace
      file D_obs_serv_16_HCG.xlsx could not be saved

Comment

Do you have permissions to write to the HCG directory?

You haven't shown us exactly what Stata returned to you -- what was the full error message? It may be informative. (Follow the Forum FAQ advice to show everything; and preferably report it within CODE delimiters, as described in section 12 of the FAQ -- it really helps legibility.)

Talking of the FAQ, please re-register to use your real name (firstname lastname). It's easy -- just hit the Contact Us button at bottom right of screen and make your request.

Comment

Another possibility for the "file ... could not be saved" message. If you are running a loop doing a whole bunch of -export excel- commands, the CPU can outpace the hard drive's ability to write these files. If you are in this situation, try inserting -sleep 50- after each -export excel- to give the hard drive some time to catch up. This happened to me once, and Tech Support taught me this trick.

Comment

@Stephen yes I have permissions to write

@Clyde - add the sleep command and got the same result

Code:
             sleep 10000

. export excel using "`dir_HCG'\D_obs_serv_16_HCG.xlsx", firstrow(variables) replace
            file D:\Mis documentos\Rev_mat_statav3\HCG\D_obs_serv_16_HCG.xlsx could not be saved
            r(603);

Comment

Another possibility to investigate: the full path and filename you are trying to save to is 60 characters long. Some versions of Windows will not accept a pathname that long. Can you get it to work if you use a shorter filename?

Comment

The other thing I can think of that's worth checking is whether you have a previous copy of the file open in excel? If excel has the file open it locks it so Stata can't replace it.

Comment

I notice that
                  Code:
                  . error 603
                  file could not be opened
                  r(603);
                  which, interestingly, refers to opening not saving! But, whatever, it turns out not to be very helpful. I suspect you have to contact Tech Support.
                  Meanwhile, I'm unsure whether your use of sleep matches what Clyde helpfully suggested. I'm sure he'll say!

Comment

Just for kicks, try:
                    • re-booting the machine (sometimes solves unexplainable issues, perhaps a process in the background with a lock on the file)
                    • fully-specifying the path, instead of using a macro. Again, more voodoo than a real explanation, but simplify, simplify.
                    • Use a different filename. The first step (re-booting) should make this moot, but if voodoo works, run with it

Comment

I did it!

I re-booting the machine and only open stata, any other software. the problem was the ability to use the processor

thank you very much

@ben @stephen @Sarah @clyde

Comment

Working...
                      X