Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with curvy quotations marks when doing a merge.

Hello,

I am using Stata18. I am attempting to merge with string variables. However, some of the string variables in my master data have curly quotation marks like ” or like ’. I cannot replace them directly in my do file as when I tried to replace them, it appears directly " instead of ” even I copy the ” directly.

Then, I am trying different solutions but none of them have worked. Here are some of the attempts I made:

First solution:

Code:
    replace language_name = subinstr(language_name, "\u201D", `"\""', .)

Second solution:

Code:
    local quote "\""
    replace language_name = subinstr(language_name, "\u201D", "`quote'", .)
    These attempts resulted in errors of invalid syntax or did not have any effect. Any alternative to deal with this issue?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Diego Malo; 05 May 2024, 03:10.

I would try

replace language_name = subinstr(language_name, XXX, YYY , .) where XXX and YYY are replaced by calls to uchar() or ustrunescape() chartab from SSC can help mightily here.

Comment

Thanks a lot Nick Cox

I could solve the issue of the ” with the following code:

Code:
      replace language_name = subinstr(language_name, uchar(8221), uchar(34), .)
      However, I am still finding issues with ’. I am using the followind code:

Code:
      replace language_name = subinstr(language_name, uchar(2019), uchar(27), .)
      However, It does not have any effect. Do you know why?

Comment

That looks like uchar(39) to me. If it's something else, then as said chartab from SSC will tell you what you have.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help. It works! I write the code I did in case it can be helpful to anyone else:

Code:
          ssc install chartab

chartab language_name, noascii

decimal  hexadecimal   character |     frequency    unique name
          ------------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
               8,217       \u2019       ’     |           207    RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK

replace language_name = subinstr(language_name, uchar(8217), uchar(27), .)

Comment

Working...
          X