No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequential Logit or similar with multiple paths / transition possibilities

I have 10 different states of interest.
    People have a set number of chronic conditions. In the simplest model, I am interested in how people transition from one disease count to the next.
    People can have x = {0,1,...,9} number of conditions. People can move 0-1-2-3-4-5, but also 0-1-4-5, or 0-4-2-3-5 (because their disease count can decrease in a particular version of the example that allows for recovery).

A sequential logit, as is, does not seem appropriate because people have to move through specified paths (e.g. 0:1 2 3; 1:2 3; 2:3).
    If I want to model the transition probabilities between each state, is there some joint procedure available? It would seem to me that there are 1024 (2^10) possible transitions to estimate in this case?

The reversion of the sequencing makes your model more tricky.
    What if you recode the transitions and use multinomial logit?
    For example, the transition from 0 to 1 is 1, the transition from 1 to 2 is 2, the transition from 0 to 2 is 3. But also, the reverse, that is, the transition from 2 to 1 is 3, the transition from 2 to 0 is 4, and so on. I guess you then could use multinomial logit (or a form of logit depending on categorical (not ordered) data. However, as you note, this will increase the number of alternatives considerably.
    May I ask, since you aim to estimate transition probabilities, does your dataset allow you to track individuals over time?

Comment

Sorry missed that detail. Yes, it is a panel dataset with multiple possibilities of states within ID across t.

Comment

Working...
      X