Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appropriate model when Y is an integer

I have constructed Y = Wife years of schooling -Husband's years of schooling , so Y is education gap/ difference. It ranges from -18 to 15.
    Now I regress faher's education and other covariates on edu_diff variable. My variable of interest is Father's education so I see a negative coeff which is significant as well. How do I interpret it?
    Also if this is the best model that we can use or we should use some other model?

Shreya:
    as per FAQ, please use CODE delimiters to share what you tyoed and what Stata gave you back. Thanks.
    That said:
    1) -poisson- works when y takes on integer values;
    2) without further details from your side, I'd say that, other things being equal, one year more in father's education reduces Y of Z.
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thank you for your reply Sir Carlo Lazzaro. I tried poisson, negative binomial also, but the stata error, which says Y must be greater than or equal to zero (r(459), pops up. So please let me know if there is something else one can try. My Y ranges from -18 (minus 18) to 15 (positive 15)

Comment

Shreya:
        I misread that you have negative values too.
        Let's try with -regress-, then.
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

So, well I am looking at the effect of father's years of schooling (fyos) on education difference of the daughter and son in law (edu_diff).
          edu_diff= daughter years of schooling- son in law years of schooling
          edu_diff ranges from (-18 to 15)

negative values -18 till -1 implies the marriage type is hypergamy
          0 means homogamy
          1-15 means hypogamy

given this information I wanted to understand how do I interpret the fyos's coeff which is negative and significant.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	abc.png
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1750501

so I have already created the indicator variable and applied logit (hypo=1, non hypo=0) and mlogit (homo=0, hypo=1 and hyper=2). But wanted to see when we take edu_diff then what happens do my results change and it's easier to interpret a linear model.

Comment

Shreya:
            -fyos- coefficient tells you that, for those in the reference category (that is, 0.level) of -poor- categorical variable, each year of difference in -fyos- reduces the regressand by -.1742296.
            You can get it easier by adding the -allbase- option to your OLS.
            Kind regards,
            Carlo
            (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thank you Sir for your reply. I just have a follow-up question: can we interpret in terms of the marriage type? Like each year of difference in fyos for non-poor (poor=0) reduces the education difference thus leading to homo or hypergamy. Whereas for poor we see an increase in edu_diff means higher hypogamy?
              Also, Yos is years of schooling of daughter, so is it advisable to control for it in the regression? since my Y is constructed using that variable?

Comment

Shreya:
                1) as the interaction does not reach statistical significance, I would re-run the model without it and see how the coefficients change;
                2) your statements should be tested in the light of 1);
                3) no, -yos- is part of the y.
                Kind regards,
                Carlo
                (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thank you so much Sir Carlo Lazzaro

Comment

Shreya:
                    Carlo is enough. Thank you.
                    Kind regards,
                    Carlo