• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IV with interaction gone wrong

Hi,

I have the following specification:

Code:
    ivreg2 grades (treatment treatment#exchange = lottery lottery#exchange) exchange, r
    grades is my outcome. Variable treatment is the endogenous variable and I use variable lottery as an IV for treatment. I want to see the full interaction effects for "exchange" students, so I decided to interact treatment with exchange and instrument it with lottery*exchange.

I get no results for 1.treatment#1.exchange, it is missing. I get a ranktest error that may be caused by collinearity.
    I don't understand this. Have I done something wrong?

I've always had trouble with this. To force Stata to give the effect you want:

Code:
    gen treat_exch = treatment*exchange
    gen lott_exch = lottery*exchange
    ivreg2 grades (treatment treat_exch = lottery lott_exch) exchange, r

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Wooldridge View Post

Code:
      Thank you so much, Professor!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Wooldridge View Post

Code:
        This is the same as assuming the variables are continuous. By default, Stata assumes variables without prefixes constituting an interaction are categorical.

Code:
        ivreg2 grades (treatment c.treat#c.exch = lottery c.lott#c.exch) exchange, r

Comment

Andrew: Do you know why Stata can't figure out that three of the four terms are irrelevant even if it treats the variables as categorical? It just seems messy to me.

Comment

I find that this happens if you specify the main effects and interactions separately. I assume this is a feature of factor variables. However, if you specify the full set, the redundant interactions are dropped. Consider:

Code:
            sysuse auto, clear
            qui sum length, d
            gen longcar= length > r(p50)

* SEPARATE MAIN EFFECTS AND INTERACTIONS
            regress mpg foreign foreign#longcar longcar, robust

*SPECIFY MAIN EFFECTS AND INTERACTIONS TOGETHER
            regress mpg foreign##longcar, robust
            Res.:

Code:
            . * SEPARATE MAIN EFFECTS AND INTERACTIONS

. regress mpg foreign foreign#longcar longcar, robust
            note: 1.foreign#0b.longcar omitted because of collinearity.
            note: 1.foreign#1.longcar omitted because of collinearity.

Linear regression                               Number of obs     =         74
                                                            F(2, 70)          =          .
                                                            Prob > F          =          .
                                                            R-squared         =     0.4462
                                                            Root MSE          =     4.3969

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            |               Robust
                        mpg | Coefficient  std. err.      t    P>|t|     [95% conf. interval]
            ----------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
                    foreign |   .0178571   1.757307     0.01   0.992    -3.486981    3.522695
                            |
            foreign#longcar |
                Domestic#1  |   .4900794   1.813721     0.27   0.788    -3.127272    4.107431
                 Foreign#0  |          0  (omitted)
                 Foreign#1  |          0  (omitted)
                            |
                    longcar |  -8.142857   1.431271    -5.69   0.000    -10.99744   -5.288278
                      _cons |     25.125   1.019604    24.64   0.000     23.09146    27.15854
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. *SPECIFY MAIN EFFECTS AND INTERACTIONS TOGETHER

. regress mpg foreign##longcar, robust

Linear regression                               Number of obs     =         74
                                                            F(2, 70)          =          .
                                                            Prob > F          =          .
                                                            R-squared         =     0.4462
                                                            Root MSE          =     4.3969

|               Robust
                        mpg | Coefficient  std. err.      t    P>|t|     [95% conf. interval]
            ----------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
                    foreign |
                   Foreign  |   .0178571   1.757307     0.01   0.992    -3.486981    3.522695
                  1.longcar |  -7.652778   1.114023    -6.87   0.000    -9.874626   -5.430929
                            |
            foreign#longcar |
                 Foreign#1  |  -.4900794   1.813721    -0.27   0.788    -4.107431    3.127272
                            |
                      _cons |     25.125   1.019604    24.64   0.000     23.09146    27.15854

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Musau View Post

This is the same as assuming the variables are continuous. By default, Stata assumes variables without prefixes constituting an interaction are categorical.

Code:
              ivreg2 grades (treatment c.treat#c.exch = lottery c.lott#c.exch) exchange, r
              My variables are not continuous though. How should I deal with that? If I put i. prefix, I get the error that I don't have enough instruments for identification.

Comment

Can you show the results of

Code:
                tab treat
                tab exchange
                tab lottery
                ?

For 0/1 indicators, treating them as binary or continuous does not change the results.

If I put i. prefix, I get the error that I don't have enough instruments for identification
                Note that my suggestion was to prefix the variables with "c." to replicate Jeff's suggestion, not "i.".
                Last edited by Andrew Musau; 17 Apr 2024, 07:41.

Comment

Working...
                X