Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy code from StataCorp

This query is primarily directed at StataCorp.

I am fixing a bug in one of my ado-files that I make available via SSC (and GitHub). I am thinking about copying a large fraction (almost the entire code) from one of StataCorp's (undocumented) ado-files into my ado-file. I would only have to make some adjustments, so this would be the easiest option.

I have copied fractions of code from StataCorp before (and acknowledged it in the help and ado-file), and informal conversations suggest that is not a problem. But I wonder whether anyone - particularly StataCorp - sees a (legal) problem with copying (almost) entire ado-files from StataCorp.

The Stata End-User License Agreement states that

Customer shall not [...] (ii) modify, translate, or create derivative works of the Licensed Software;
    I wonder whether that applies to derivatives of ado-files, too.

In my own do files I sometimes steal/adapt code from others, with permission, and with attribution.

i am hesitant to just call somebody else’s do file, because I can’t count on them to not make a change that will zap my program. Stata is pretty good abut version control but individual creators may not be. Plus, of course, I can customize the code for my purposes.

Also I’ve done things like take a Stata ado for a predict command and tweaked it to work with my statistical command.

For Stata undocumented commands, I’d be hesitant to call them because Stata doesn’t guarantee the programs won’t change in the future.

i think StataCorp should give you permission to do what you want.

if I was StataCorp, what would upset me is if, you took a command introduced in Stata 18, and tweaked It to work in early versions. That could reduce the incentive to buy the latest and greatest versions.

But, in most cases, user-written commands enhance the value of Stata, so I think users like you should be given a lot of leeway.
    -------------------------------------------
    Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
    Stata Version: 17.0 MP (2 processor)

EMAIL: [email protected]
    WWW: https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam

Comment

Originally posted by daniel klein View Post
      This query is primarily directed at StataCorp.

I am fixing a bug in one of my ado-files that I make available via SSC (and GitHub). I am thinking about copying a large fraction (almost the entire code) from one of StataCorp's (undocumented) ado-files into my ado-file. I would only have to make some adjustments, so this would be the easiest option.

I have copied fractions of code from StataCorp before (and acknowledged it in the help and ado-file), and informal conversations suggest that is not a problem. But I wonder whether anyone - particularly StataCorp - sees a (legal) problem with copying (almost) entire ado-files from StataCorp.

The Stata End-User License Agreement states that

I wonder whether that applies to derivatives of ado-files, too.
      What you want to do is allowed. In our EULA, take a look at the definitions in section 1 for "Stata Special Files", "StataCorp Enhancements", and "Customer Enhancements". We explicitly allow modification and redistribution of our ado-files.

Comment

The definitions Alan points out are indeed very explicit; I should have caught that. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for still taking the time to answer.

Comment

Alan Riley (StataCorp)
          That's good to know. I may end up looking into -splitsample- to modify a new prefix command for cross-validation to provide stratified sampling in addition to what we already cover.

Comment

Working...
          X