No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postfile results not stored in new stata file

Hello all,

I am very new to Stata and I am having some trouble using the Postfile function. I am following a do file that my lecturer has given me and when he runs the following code, a new stata file called 'resultsbeta' is generated for him. The results are shown in stata for me (as they are for the lecturer), but they are not stored in a new file.
    Code:
    tempname memhold
    postfile `memhold' beta_values str32 varname using "resultsbeta", replace

// Loop over each variable in the list
    foreach var in `variable_list' {

// Calculate the covariance between the current variable and return_ftse100priceindex
        corr `var' return_ftse100priceindex, cov
        scalar beta_values = r(C)[1, 2] / var_ftse

post `memhold' (beta_values) (`"`var'"')

}
    postclose `memhold'
    Below is an attached an image of what the new file should look like (low quality unfortunately).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 17.30.22.png
Views:	1
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	1748035

Again, I am very new to stata so I apologise if I am overlooking something or if this is a very easy fix.
    Thanks

How are you trying to find/access the new file? Do not try to reach it via `memhold': that is no longer usable after -postclose-. You must, thereafter, refer to the file by its name: resultsbeta. -dir resultsbeta.dta- should show you it exists, and -use resultsbeta, clear- should bring it into memory. If these are not working, please repost showing the exact code that you are using to try to access the new file.

Comment

Hi Clyde,
      I was trying to find the file by looking at my folder where the file should be stored and it wasn't appearing. Similarly, I used:
      Code:
      use "/Users/bilaalaslam/Desktop/CASS/Year 3/Term 2/Applied Research Project/IARP data/resultsbeta.dta"
      and it said that it was not found. However, I used your -dir resultsbeta.dta- and -use resultsbeta, clear- commands and then used the save command and it worked. Thank you very much!

Comment

What that means is that when you ran the code, the current working directory was not "/Users/bilaalaslam/Desktop/CASS/Year 3/Term 2/Applied Research Project/IARP data." Any time Stata saves a file, unless you give it a full path in the -save- command (-or the -using- part of the -tempfile- command), the file is saved in the current working directory. Moreover, any -use- command, again, unless you specify a full path, will be sought in current working directory.

So your next task is to learn what the current working directory actually is. The -pwd- command will tell you that. (On Windows you can also use -cd- for this.) You can find the file there going forward.

Comment

Working...
        X