Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stata truncating filenames

I had to reinstall Windows, and since then, Stata has been truncating (and assigning a completely random filename) all my file paths.

Gor example, I open a file, and it saves the command as:
    use "C:\Users\Claire Wladis\Desktop\Dropbox\1PAPER~1\ALGEBR~1\DATAFI~1\ COURSE~1\AL7730~1.DTA"
    The folder names have all been truncated, with extra symbols at the end, and the fillename AL7730... bears no resemblance to the actual filename.

This is obviously not the path or filename. This is a huge problem, as I now have no record of what file I opened, and if I want to re-save the file with a slightly modified name in the same folder, I can't. (I rely heavily on saving commands to track which files were used, and to save incremental versions of changes to a file by appending the filename). I can't find any information about why this behavior is happening or how to change it. I have never had this issue with Stata before. I did not manually change any of my settings.

I am hoping someone can help me to fix this? It is making my Stata files completely unusable. Thanks in advance for any help!

I never got a response to this post, but the problem persists. Just bumping this again in case someone has some knowledge that they are willing to share that might help me to figure this out? Thanks!

Comment

With this having begun just after reinstalling Windows, my guess is that this is more likely a Windows problem than a Stata problem. But I think you got no response because nobody knows what to tell you. If I were in your position, I would start by contacting Stata Technical Support to see if they can help you. I assume you have already tried an internet search (google or the like) to find out whether others have encountered a similar problem and, if so, how they were able to fix it.

Sorry I have nothing more specific to say about this.

Comment

Working...
      X