Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonferroni correction

Hi everyone, I'm comparing for a summary statistic analysis a bunch of variables among 5 groups. All are categorical variables, so in the table1 are displayed p values from chi2 test. Nonetheless, for a such a number of groups, I think it would be more correct to "adjust" the p values by using a Bonferroni correction. Am I right? If I correctly understood how the correction works, I can simply multiply p values * 5 so my new alpha cutoff will be:0,05*5 = < 0,25. The p value that I obtained are significant if irrespective of Bonferroni correction are still below the "true" alpha of 0,05, right?

Thank you everyone.

Hello Paolo. What is the context? You mentioned "Table 1", which makes me wonder if some multivariable analysis comes later, and if the so-called "Table 1 fallacy" is relevant. Thanks for providing more info.

PS- If some kind of correction for multiplicity is really needed, I think you can find a method that is far less conservative than a Bonferroni correction. Bonferroni-Holm, for example.
    --
    Bruce Weaver
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/
    Version: Stata/MP 18.0 (Windows)

Comment

if by "Table 1" you are referring to a table of descriptive statistics, then I would argue that a multiple comparisons correction is not only not needed, it is not even desirable

Comment

Bruce: by table 1 I mean the table of summary statistic presented at the beginning of an analysis. Thank you for replying me

Comment

Paolo:
          in addition to previous helpful replies, please note that summary statistics are usually descriptive (so, no p-value and related stuff).
          That said, if you want to go inferentilal, and you have, sa, 5 multiple comparison at your arbitrary cut-off is 0.05, you should diveide it by 5 (0.05/5=0.01). Every resulting p-value<0.01 shows that the result of your comparison reaches statistical significance at 0.05.
          Kind regards,
          Carlo
          (StataNow 18.5)

Comment

In addition to the very helpful response, you may want to check out

Code:
            ssc install rwolf2

Comment

Working...
            X