Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stata 18 is here now!

I am happy to announce that Stata 18 is now available! Following our long-standing tradition, we are announcing it first here on Statalist.

Highlights include
    • Bayesian model averaging
    • Causal mediation analysis
    • Tables of descriptive statistics (Table 1)
    • Heterogeneous DID
    • Group sequential designs
    • Multilevel meta-analysis
    • Meta-analysis for prevalence
    • Robust inference for linear models
    • Wild cluster bootstrap
    • Local projections for IRFs
    • Model selection for ARIMA and ARFIMA
    • Flexible demand systems
    • TVCs with interval-censored Cox model
    • Lasso for Cox model
    • GOF plots for survival models
    • RERI
    • IV quantile regression
    • IV fractional probit model
    • Corrected and consistent AICs
    • New spline functions
    • Alias variables across frames
    • Frame sets
    • Boost-based regular expressions
    • Vectorized numerical integration
    • New reporting features
    • Do-file Editor enhancements
    • Data Editor enhancements
    • Graph colors by variable
    • All-new graph style

And of course there is more. Visit stata.com/new-in-stata for details. For those of you who want even more detail, see stata.com/help.cgi?whatsnew17to18.

We hope you enjoy the new version.

Time to get that Stata 19 wishlist going!

Have you included Bayesian Panel Var and X-13ARIMA-SEATS adjustment?

Comment

Is margins aware of the new -makespline- command?

Comment

Hope not! That way people can still use my f_able (from SSC) command!
        but if it is...Sweet!

Comment

There is probably an FAQ for this, but I have not found it (yet). How recently must one have purchased v17 to get a free upgrade to v18? Some of my students bought v17 licenses back in December of January, and I'm wondering if they are eligible for free upgrades. Thanks.
          --
          Bruce Weaver
          Email: [email protected]
          Web: http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/
          Version: Stata/MP 18.0 (Windows)

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Weaver View Post
            There is probably an FAQ for this, but I have not found it (yet). How recently must one have purchased v17 to get a free upgrade to v18? Some of my students bought v17 licenses back in December of January, and I'm wondering if they are eligible for free upgrades. Thanks.
            If you have a current (i.e. unexpired) 6-month or annual license, or if your license is covered by maintenance, you are eligible for a Stata 18 license. We are contacting eligible license holders over the next few days, but your students can feel free to reach out to [email protected] in the meantime.

Comment

That's great. Thanks Alan.
              --
              Bruce Weaver
              Email: [email protected]
              Web: http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/
              Version: Stata/MP 18.0 (Windows)

Comment

Thanks Stata Corp! Looking forward to giving it a spin!

Comment

Dear Alan and Colleagues!

Congratulations on releasing Stata 18! Very impressive update!

The alias variables described in this video seem like addressing my earlier request here and here. Thank you very much!
                  I am yet to see how this works, but I am already excited about having this tool added to Stata's toolbox.

I am sure many others contributing to the wishlist for Stata 18 thread find their wishes have been materialized in this new version.

Best, Sergiy

Comment

The new graphics almost make me wanna drop the $700 on it

Comment

I am a maintenance license holder. How many days is a few before I get contacted?

Comment

Stata 18 graphics engine is superb! My BE edition runs very fast on Mac M1. Perfecto!

Comment

Is it me or the filtering observations in the new Data Editor extremely slow? With my 16 to 330,000 data, any filtering takes about 30 seconds on my MacBook M1, which wasn't the case before. What's more problematic is that command window becomes unresponsive (issued command are not processed) during this time.

Also, lower right corner in Data Editor always shows "Filter: Off" whether a filter is active or not. Could someone replicate this?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorkem Aksaray View Post
                            Is it me or the filtering observations in the new Data Editor extremely slow? With my 16 to 330,000 data, any filtering takes about 30 seconds on my MacBook M1, which wasn't the case before. What's more problematic is that command window becomes unresponsive (issued command are not processed) during this time.

Also, lower right corner in Data Editor always shows "Filter: Off" whether a filter is active or not. Could someone replicate this?
                            In Stata 17, we weren't updating the interface when the Data Editor was filtering so if you had a lot of observations, it might not have been obvious Stata was busy while filtering. In Stata 18, we changed the behavior so that Stata would periodically update the interface to show that it's busy while filtering. On Stata 18 for Mac, we are updating the interface too often which is why filtering is extremely slow with a large number of observations. We'll fix that in an update as well as fixing the updating of the status bar when it comes to displaying the filter mode.
                            -Chinh Nguyen

Comment

Originally posted by Chinh Nguyen (StataCorp) View Post

In Stata 17, we weren't updating the interface when the Data Editor was filtering so if you had a lot of observations, it might not have been obvious Stata was busy while filtering. In Stata 18, we changed the behavior so that Stata would periodically update the interface to show that it's busy while filtering. On Stata 18 for Mac, we are updating the interface too often which is why filtering is extremely slow with a large number of observations. We'll fix that in an update as well as fixing the updating of the status bar when it comes to displaying the filter mode.
                              Thanks. Also realized changing color scheme in preferences doesn't seem to apply in Data Editor. In addition, perhaps related, when Mac switches to dark mode, Data Editor stays as white background and bright colored text.

Comment

Working...
                              X