No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The program below does the trick. It returns as a default the variable list without the indicator that the variable needs to be omitted. It cannot handle other baseline categories than "0".

Code:
    program define fvexpand2 , rclass
        syntax [anything] , [VARLISTOmitted]
        fvexpand `anything'
        if "`varlistomitted'" == "" {
            if "`r(varlist)'" != "" return local varlisto "`r(varlist)'"
            local tmp = subinstr("`r(varlist)'","0b.","0.",.)
            if "`tmp'" != "" return local varlist "`tmp'"
        }
        else {
            if "`r(varlist)'" != "" return local varlist "`r(varlist)'"
        }

if "`r(fvops)'" != "" return local fvops "`r(fvops)'"
        if "`r(tsops)'" != "" return local tsops "`r(tsops)'"

end
    As I said, a stable Stata solution would be nice too.

Comment

• Here is a simpler way of what I believe you want:

Code:
      program fvexpandnobase // , rclass

version 18

local fvbase = c(fvbase)

nobreak {

set fvbase off

capture noisily fvexpand `0'

set fvbase `fvbase'

}

end
      Example

Code:
      . sysuse auto
      (1978 automobile data)

. fvexpandnobase i.foreign

. return list

macros:
                    r(fvops) : "true"
                  r(varlist) : "0.foreign 1.foreign"

end of do-file

Comment

• To Laura Vossen Engblom :
        - Simulation-based residual diagnostic plots for hierarchical (multi-level/mixed) regression models. The DHARMa R package.
        - More customizable table1
        - Add the do-file as a subwindow to the main stata window with the console. Mainly to skip having to click back the do-file window every time you change programs.
        - Add simple examples to each command description, with code AND output.
        - Give encode a replace option
        1. I can't say something about your first point, but
        2. Tables are extremely customizable even for oneway tables, see -help table_oneway- (and the respective reference manual entry). Admittedly, the use of -collect- is arcane (to me). Note that there also is the SSC command -fre-, perhaps it does already what you want to achieve.
        3. Simply use the keyboard combination <ctrl><2> to jump to the results window and <ctrl><8> to jump back to the Do-File-Editor (see the keystroke alternatives next to the window names in the Windows Menu). This should work as long as your operating system is not Linux. In Linux this does not work and makes a good wishlist item for Stata 19.
        4. It may differ from the user's perspective what "simple" is, but note that the reference manuals provide many command descriptions together with output. In case output is lacking you can copy the example syntax into your Command Window (or .do-file) -- it will run even with preceding dots.
        5. Why not use the option -gen()- and subsequently drop the original variable with -capture drop originalvarname-?
        Last edited by Dirk Enzmann; 15 Apr 2024, 07:27.

Comment

• Here is an improved version of the program in #257 that optionally respects fvsettings (if the user has set fvbase on):

Code:
          *! version 1.0.0  15apr2024
          program fvexpandbn , rclass

version 16.1

local c_fvbase = c(fvbase)

nobreak {

set fvbase off

syntax [ varlist(default=none fv ts) ] [ if ] [ in ] [ , FVSET ]

if ( ("`fvset'"=="fvset") & ("`c_fvbase'"=="on") ) {

set fvbase on
                      syntax [ varlist(default=none fv ts) ] [ if ] [ in ] [ , FVSET ]
                      set fvbase off

}

capture noisily fvexpand `varlist' `if' `in'
                  local rc = _rc

set fvbase `c_fvbase'

if `rc' exit `rc'

}

return add

end

Here are examples (you may add some assert commands to create a certification script):

Code:
          . sysuse auto
          (1978 Automobile Data)

. // fvset-tings
          . fvset base 1 foreign

. fvset base freq rep78

. // default behavior; ignore fvset
          . fvexpandbn i.foreign i.rep78

. return list

macros:
                      r(varlist) : "0.foreign 1.foreign 1.rep78 2.rep78 3.rep78 4.rep78 5.rep78"

. // optionally, respect fvsetting
          . fvexpandbn i.foreign i.rep78 , fvset

. return list

macros:
                      r(varlist) : "0.foreign 1b.foreign 1.rep78 2.rep78 3b.rep78 4.rep78 5.rep78"

. // always respect explicit base-settings
          . fvexpandbn ib0.foreign ib5.rep78

. return list

macros:
                      r(varlist) : "0b.foreign 1.foreign 1.rep78 2.rep78 3.rep78 4.rep78 5b.rep78"

. // always respect explicit base-settings
          . fvexpandbn ib0.foreign ib5.rep78 , fvset

. return list

macros:
                      r(varlist) : "0b.foreign 1.foreign 1.rep78 2.rep78 3.rep78 4.rep78 5b.rep78"

end of do-file

Last edited by daniel klein; 15 Apr 2024, 10:02. Reason: hint to -assert- for certification

Comment

• When invoked from the command box from the main UI, `qui do script.do` runs much faster than `do script.do`. The seems seems to be a small delay (~50-100ms?) between each line printed to the console. This is way too slow in 2024 and hinders productivity when writing/debugging long scripts, especially given the lack of a step-by-step execution of scripts for debugging. Eliminating this delay would speedup actual workflows greatly.

Comment

• Originally posted by patricio cuaron View Post
              When invoked from the command box from the main UI, `qui do script.do` runs much faster than `do script.do`. The seems seems to be a small delay (~50-100ms?) between each line printed to the console. This is way too slow in 2024 and hinders productivity when writing/debugging long scripts, especially given the lack of a step-by-step execution of scripts for debugging. Eliminating this delay would speedup actual workflows greatly.
              There will always be additional delay when having to print output to the screen compared to simply suppressing it. In any of my real work, the amount of time printing to the screen is not noticeable and immaterial compared to more time intensive routines such as fitting models, reshaping data, performing imputations or bootstraps, etc. I would strongly advise that if you have long and time-consuming scripts, perhaps it is worth considering whether they can be refactored into smaller "steps" first or otherwise made more efficient so that you don't need to rerun everything from the top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonardo Guizzetti View Post

There will always be additional delay when having to print output to the screen compared to simply suppressing it. In any of my real work, the amount of time printing to the screen is not noticeable and immaterial compared to more time intensive routines such as fitting models, reshaping data, performing imputations or bootstraps, etc. I would strongly advise that if you have long and time-consuming scripts, perhaps it is worth considering whether they can be refactored into smaller "steps" first or otherwise made more efficient so that you don't need to rerun everything from the top.
                Leonardo, the performance of the console is bad. Other consoles print much faster. It is a concern, if you have a script with several replace commands or something similar, it takes forever. It is a usability issue. Of course we can work around it, trading off productivity.

Comment

• Originally posted by patricio cuaron View Post

Leonardo, the performance of the console is bad. Other consoles print much faster. It is a concern, if you have a script with several replace commands or something similar, it takes forever. It is a usability issue. Of course we can work around it, trading off productivity.
                  We can disagree about what is reasonable or a hindrance to productivity.

In your specific example about replace commands, it seems to suggest you have large data, and the bulk of the time is the act of making those changes, not printing to the screen. Can you provide a reproducible example of this?

Comment

• One thing that would be huge is having the survey set svy be able to directly support predictive models e.g., Lasso or elastic net regression. Currently, it is not directly supported.

Comment

Working...
                    X