This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishlist for Stata 19

Stata 18 is now out. Place any requests for version 19 here. The version 18 request thread is here.

sladmin
    Last edited by Leonardo Guizzetti; 25 Apr 2023, 09:41.

Sort of like I said on the 18 wishlist, R integration (like we have with Python) and implementation of synthetic control analysis would be very much appreciated.

Comment

Ability to read images and allow for gradient colors

Comment

Stata's graph system is very slow: try producing a few hundred graphs in a loop. Moreover, to make a complicated graph can require a rather long (convoluted?) command.

Stata now has Python integration.

Proposal: Build a native Stata hook into matplotlib. Make the syntax as comparable to Python's object-oriented matplotlib syntax as possible. I would rather not have to combine Python and Stata code in a do-file. That's why I suggest a native Stata hook straight into matplotlib.
        Last edited by Brian Poi; 25 Apr 2023, 11:08.

Comment

Global Moran I test with any weight matrix.
          Bayesian comparison approach to choose between SDM and SDEM (The Bayesian comparison approach has been applied successfully in: (1) Firmino Costa da Silva D. , Elhorst J.P., Neto Silveira R.d.M. (2017), Urban and Rural Population Growth in a Spatial Panel of Municipalities, Regional Studies 51(6): 894-908.)

Comment

Ability to read images and allow for gradient colors
            Can you elaborate please?

Comment

1. Official or semi-official plugins for popular text editors (VSCode, Notepad++, Sublime, etc) -- there are some nice user-written contributions but official versions (or still user-written but with active help from StataCorp) with one-click installation would be a huge improvement. Even just providing a single place to look for authoritative information would be great. (First posted to Wishlist for Stata 14, so I suppose I should limit my expectations.)
              2. The ability to add custom metadata to .gph files and retrieve using graph describe, similar to graph describe's current ability to retrieve r(dtafile), r(command), etc. (Some long-ago discussion here: https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...generated-pdfs)
              3. Allow inlist() to take more than 10 string arguments.
              4. An option for "tab" that will display both value labels and unlabeled values, similar to user-written -tabnl- and -fre-.
              5. Keep focus on the do-file editor while a do-file is running, e.g., do not have graphs pop up in front of the do-file editor.
              Last edited by Bert Lloyd; 25 Apr 2023, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Poi View Post
                Stata's graph system is very slow: try producing a few hundred graphs in a loop.
                Code:
                set graphics off
                can speed things up considerably -- the graphs are still created but not displayed to the screen.

Comment

Could net query please return the current settings in r() (under version control)? Alternatively, give us additional c() values to access this information.

Comment

Can Stata 19 provide standardized mean differences more readily in very basic commands like tabulate and ttest ? Maybe I am missing something, but is the user-created stddiff package the best available option?

Comment

R integration!!!

Comment

I'd still like to see the "atet" option added to teffects aipw. It's the only estimator that does not allow calculation of the average treatment effect on the treated, and there's no reason not to allow it.

Comment

Integrate or copy the models from BEAR toolbox from ECB

Comment

Bert Lloyd : referring to #7 (4.): I know what -fre- is (at SSC), but what and where is -tabnl- ?

Comment

Dirk Enzmann, the -tabnl- was introduced here https://www.stata.com/statalist/arch.../msg00601.html
                              and it was wrote by Nick Cox as improvised as many other commands he provided in Statalist.
                              Code:
                              *! NJC 1.0.0 15 March 2007 
                              program tabnl
                                  version 8
                                  syntax varlist(min=1 max=2) [if] [in] [fweight aweight iweight] [, *] 

foreach v in `varlist' { 
                                      local lblname : value label `v' 
                                      if "`lblname'" != "" { 
                                          tempvar V 
                                          tempname temp 
                                          clonevar `V' = `v'
                                          labvalclone `lblname' `temp' 
                                          numlabel `temp', add  
                                          label val `V' `temp'
                                          local newlist `newlist' `V' 
                                      }
                                      else local newlist `newlist' `v'  
                                  }

tab `newlist' `if' `in' [`weight' `exp'] , `options' 
                              end

Comment

Working...
                              X