Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme difference: Log-binomial vs robust Poisson regression poisson-regression

Hi all,
    More a statistics than a STATA programming question: I am working on cross-sectional data and I have fit the 1.log-binomial regression model, 2.robust Poisson regression and the 3. logistic regression model. My outcome is rare (<1%) and the data are clustered in two levels. My question is: why while all results are similar (PR and POR) only the robust Poisson regression provides a significant result? Can I use any model without justification?
    Thanks

Marios:
    as usual, no details from poster's side causes the reply to be guess-work driven.
    If robust Poisson means a -poisson- with non-default standard errors, this may be the/one explanation.
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, you are right, Carlo.
      So, bellow are the codes for every model. The outcome is rare and I believe that's the reason that the results are almost identical for all models. However, the robust poisson model provide considerably significant results, whereas the other do not.

logistic regression: meglm result ib1.tertiles_all i.1.Sex i.contact i.past i.agegroupreg i.screening ib1.health_insurance|| district :, family(binomial) link (logit) eform
      robust Poisson regression: meglm result ib1.tertiles_all i.1.Sex i.contact i.past i.agegroupreg i.screening ib1.health_insurance || district :, family(poisson) vce(robust) irr
      log-binomial regression: xi: gllamm result i.tert2 i.tert3 i.sexreg1 i.contact i.past i.agegroupreg i.screening i.hi1 ,link(log) fam(binom)i(dist) eform
      Last edited by Marios Politis; 27 Mar 2023, 05:34.

Comment

Marios:
        1) you ran three different models. Therefore, different results are perfectly legal;
        2) you -meglm- code, -poisson- family, applies clustered-robust standard errors, whose validity depends on the number of clusters (30-50, at least) (see https://cameron.econ.ucdavis.edu/res...5_February.pdf).
        For a smaller number of clusters, the cluster-robust standar errors can be even more misleading than their default counterparts.
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thank you for your answer. My data are 13.000 individuals clustered into 40 wards and then in 4 districts. Which one of the levels should I consider for choosing the robust standard error function?

Comment

Marios:
            thanks for clarifying.
            4 district are not enough to go cluster-robust.
            You should go back to default standard errors.
            Kind regards,
            Carlo
            (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Thanks for your prompt response / feedback Carlo.

Comment

Working...
              X