No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extracting values used in creating a bar graph

Dear Statalist community,

I wondered if I could ask you for some advice on how to extract data that Stata uses to create illustrations, such as a bar graph. In my case, I make some extensive bar graphs showing the use of certain dose strengths a type of medication across several countries and time periods, in which I would like to put the exact estimates behind the figure in a supplemental section of my paper.

The command I use is constructed like this:
    graph bar medication_strength1 medication_strength2 medication_strength1or2, over(country) over(time_period) stack

Is there an option to extract a table showing the values used to construct a bar graph like this?

Thank you,
    Håkon

It is possible, but your are better of creating those values directly, e.g. with the table command
    ---------------------------------
    Maarten L. Buis
    University of Konstanz
    Department of history and sociology
    box 40
    78457 Konstanz
    Germany
    http://www.maartenbuis.nl
    ---------------------------------

Comment

In addition, you can get a dataset with just those results (which will be means) with

Code:
      collapse medication_strength1 medication_strength2 medication_strength1or2, by(country time_period)
      It may be a good idea to record other properties too.

Comment

Dear Nick and Maarten,

Thank you for your swift and helpful replies! Both options worked out, especially the collapse command.

Best,
        Håkon

Comment

Working...
        X