Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teffects ipw - Overlap Assumption Violated - How to Proceed?

Hi all,

I'm using teffects ipw to fit a model that estimates the probability of treatment group assignment, with the goal of using generated IPWs to adjust in the outcome model. I have four treatment groups in my study and have identified a fairly long list of factors from the literature to include in a treatment model. The advice I received was to start with the long list and refine until I arrived at a final model. However, when I include the long list, I get an error advising that the overlap assumption has been violated. Next, I went to a much smaller group of variables and received the same error. Here are the results from the reduced list of variables:

Code:
    . teffects ipw (study_grp) (AGEcat BMI COMOR EXD PRIORDX)
    treatment 2 has 1 propensity score less than 1.00e-05
    treatment 3 has 7 propensity scores less than 1.00e-05
    treatment 4 has 11 propensity scores less than 1.00e-05
    treatment overlap assumption has been violated; use option osample() to
    identify the overlap violators
    I re-ran the same code using the osample()option, which adds a variable to identify the overlap violators. I understand the theory behind the overlap assumption, but I don't know what to do with the observations where the assumption is violated. There are about 35,000 participants in my study cohort, so these 18 observations aren't a significant portion of the cohort.

My question: now that I know that the overlap assumption is violated and I know which observations violate the assumption, what should I do next?

Thanks for your consideration!

since only a fraction of observations violate the assumption, I recommend not giving it much thought and taking the textbook approach of dropping them from the analysis of the outcome

Comment

That sounds like a reasonable idea. I'll run this past my supervisor and see what he has to say. Thanks for the quick reply, Øyvind!

Comment

Hi Øyvind, everyone,

A follow-up question - does anyone have any experience with the option osample()? When I run the code, I get three values for the variable: ., 0, or 1. The relevant Stata documentation doesn't appear to describe what the values are. I can guess, but wondered if anyone might be able to direct me to documentation that might prevent me from having to guess!

Thank you!

Comment

does this return the number of . values for the osample() variable,
          Code:
          count if missing(study_grp, AGEcat, BMI, COMOR, EXD, PRIORDX)
          ?

Comment

Not precisely, but I was able to count values - there are ~25,000 0 values, 20 1 values, and 14,000 missing values. The sum is equal to the size of my study cohort.

Comment

Following up on this after getting down a side-path in my research! Does anyone know how to interpret values generated by osample()? I would have expected a binary variable to as noted above, but am unsure what to make of all the missing values. Documentation of how this works is a bit thin, unfortunately! Would welcome ideas!

Last edited by Sean Hardiman; 29 Mar 2022, 22:23.

Comment

Hai Sean Hardiman, So what I understand is osample(newvar) creates a binary variable in the name newvar. when newvar = 1, it means that the stata could not find a match for that observation. Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Preethi Ramanujam View Post
                  Hai Sean Hardiman, So what I understand is osample(newvar) creates a binary variable in the name newvar. when newvar = 1, it means that the stata could not find a match for that observation. Hope this helps!
                  Thank you! I eventually figured it out, too, to the same outcome you did. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X