No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control for country effect in a pooled estimation

Hello everybody,

I have panel data with two time periods (t=2) and n regions as entities. I am considering the possibility of including a variable to control for country effect in the regressions. In the research, I employ both pooled and fixed effect specifications. If I'm correct, it is unnecessary to include a country variable in the fixed effect model since it is time-invariant. However, I would like to control the country effect in the pooled model.

I generated a factor variable
    Code:
    egen f_country= group(country), label
    and then ran this regression:
    Code:
    reg y x i.f_country, vce(cluster region_id)
    The country effect is not my priority estimation here. I want to somehow control for spatial correlation. My questions are: is it correct to include the country variable in a pooled model? Is there a way to control for a general country effect instead of having the estimates for each country in comparison to the base level?

Thank you in advance for your help

Duccio:
    1) your pooled OLS code is correct as far as -i.f_country- is concerned.
    I'm not clear why you ran pooled OLS too if you want to go -xtreg,fe- (as pooled OLS without is inconsistent if -xtreg,fe- is the right specification).
    2) if by "general country effect" you mean converting -region- from categorical to continuous, I do think it makes sense.
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Carlo, thank you for the answer.
      I am employing both specifications because I'm using the RD design, which in theory should work properly with pooled OLS by restricting the sample around the cut-off. However, I want to include fixed-effect estimation in the analysis for completeness and robustness.

I do not understand what you mean in the second answer. Why should I convert regions to a continuous variable to assess whether the country of origin significantly affects the regional outcome?

Comment

Duccio:
        please read my second answer as "I do not think it makes sense". Sorry for the omission.
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Ok, I see.
          I will probably just drop the country variable from the pooled since it is hard to read given the high number of countries. Just a few estimates among the country categories are statistically significant. The great majority is not, so I think I can assume that omitting the country variable won't provide a large bias.

Thanks again!

Comment

Duccio:
            you may want to test the joint statistical significance of -i.country- via -testparm- after pooled OLS.
            Kind regards,
            Carlo
            (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

You write that you wanna adjust for spatial autocorrelation. Is your dataset spset?

Comment

Originally posted by Jared Greathouse View Post
                You write that you wanna adjust for spatial autocorrelation. Is your dataset spset?
                No it is not.
                Isn't it possible to get a raw assessment of the country of origin effect even without spset? Maybe spatial correlation is not the right term.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo Lazzaro View Post
                  Duccio:
                  you may want to test the joint statistical significance of -i.country- via -testparm- after pooled OLS.
                  "Unfortunately", they are jointly significant. I have to include the country variable in the regression somehow.

Comment

Duccio:
                    why unfortunately?
                    You have another predictor that, when adjusted for the other ones, helps explaining variations in the regressand.
                    Kind regards,
                    Carlo
                    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo Lazzaro View Post
                      Duccio:
                      why unfortunately?
                      You have another predictor that, when adjusted for the other ones, helps explaining variations in the regressand.
                      I wrote "unfortunately" for personal convenience. It is only good to have checked for an omitted variable bias. It's just that I would have preferred that the control variables were not significant for the scope of the university report I have to submit. Also, I'm not sure how to interpret the fact that some country categories carry significant estimates and others do not.
                      Last edited by Duccio Milani; 15 Jan 2022, 03:20.

Comment

Duccio:
                        this is often thecase when a categorical variable has many levels.
                        That's why we investigate their joint statistical significance.
                        Kind regards,
                        Carlo
                        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Working...
                        X