Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing model specification: region*time FEs vs. country-specific time trends

Hello!

I am trying to find the effect of drought on agricultural production using a model of the following form:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 09.57.48.png
Views:	3
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1631920

I have panel data of the form:
    Country Continent Year agprod drought
    ABW LAC 1972 13413513 0
    ABW LAC 1973 15213523 1
    ABW LAC 1974 13513513 1
    ADO WEOFF 1972 353413 0
    ADO WEOFF 1973 234233 0

I have tried several specifications and progressively including country FEs, time FEs etc.

These are the results I get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 16.34.45.png
Views:	1
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1631921

I am now hesitating between model (4) and model (5).
    Model (4) is a regression of ln_agprod on my drought indicator and adding country FEs and continent-year FEs. Model (5) is a regression of ln_agprod on my drought indicator with a linear country-specific time trend and both country FEs and year FEs.

My coefficient of interest is significant in both regressions I am thus hesitating which model to choose as my baseline. I am tempted to say model 4 is more simple and still accounts for unobserved heterogeneity and the fact that year effects may be different across regions.

Any thoughts?

The estimation of the equation that you show is model 3 (country and year fixed effects). This is the standard specification in large \(N\) and small \(T\) panels, and here your coefficient is not significant. This indicates that your results are not robust. If I were a referee, I would insist on seeing the results of this specification before you try to sell me some other intricate models with linear and higher-order time trends and region-specific time effects.
    Last edited by Andrew Musau; 15 Oct 2021, 09:24.

Comment

Alexandre:
      as an aside to Andrew's wise recommendation, in models B-E you have sky-rocketing R-sqs with one predictor only (-spei_05-).
      If I were a reviewer, I would ask for a detailed clarification about the role of -spei_05- and about your model specification.
      Eventually, I would recommend you to take a comprehensive look at the literature in your research field and see how others deal with the very similar research topic in the past.
      Kind regards,
      Carlo
      (StataNow 18.5)

Comment

Working...
      X