No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• test weakness of instrument -cmp- oprobit

Hi,
    I'm estimating an Ordered Probit and I think one regressor is endogenous, so I proceed with estimating an ivoprobit using the -cmp- command, using only one instrumental variable.

Code:
    cmp (y=x1 x2 x3) (x1= z1 x2 x3 ), ind ($cmp_probit $cmp_probit) cluster (id)
    y=ordinal dependent variable
    x1= dummy variable
    z1= instrument dummy variable

From the results of -cmp- I can conclude that there is a relationship between the error terms of first and second equation as the coefficient
    atanhro_12
    is statistically different from zero.
    Now however I would like to test the weakness of the instrument and was reading this post : https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...he-cmp-command but i cannot understand what it is meant
    As for instrument weakness, I think first-stage diagnostics like those from ivregress or ivreg2 are probably as good as you can get. Whatever theoretical grounding they have doesn't fully carry over to your model, but the test results can still be mentioned as indicative.
    Can i use the post estimation tests that are used in the case of -ivregress- or -ivreg2- after i estimate the second equation using the -cmp- method?

Or should i estimate the model using -ivregress- or -ivreg2- and only consider the tests?

Thank you very much for your help.

I tried to calculate Wald test, testing the hypothesis that the coefficient associated with z1 estimated in the equation (x1= z1, x2 x3) is =0 ,
    and I get this result:
    Code:
     chi2(  1) =    3.54
             Prob > chi2 =    0.0587
    can I conclude that my instrument is a weak instrument?
    Thanks

Comment

The cmp command you are displaying
      Code:

cmp (y=x1 x2 x3) (x1= z1 x2 x3 ), ind ($cmp_probit $cmp_probit) cluster (id)
      does not look like oprobit. I think what you have written is a biprobit. That is probit in the second stage, and probit in the first stage.

What answers you get to your question about testing strength of the instruments depends on whether your first stage is linear or not.

Comment

Thanks for pointing this out. I misspelled the command!!!
        Code:
         cmp (y=x1 x2 x3 ) (x1 = z1 x2 x3 ), ind ($cmp_oprobit $cmp_probit) cluster (id)
        Assuming I have another instrument and only one endogenous variable, I can perform the overidentification test by inserting the instruments into the second-stage eq.
        then I should estimate the following model:
        Code:
        cmp (y=x1 x2 x3 z1 z2 ) (x1 = z1 z2 x2 x3 ), ind ($cmp_oprobit $cmp_probit) cluster (id)

Comment

I have no idea what you are saying.

1. It is not impossible that there is a regression version of the overidentifying restrictions test, that involves including some of the instruments in the second stage. But I am not aware of such a thing, and it you are following some paper or a textbook, you might want to cite the source of the procedure.

2. Overidentification test is not a test of weak instruments. Again there might be some relationship between those unknown to me, but you might want to cite the source saying that weak instruments test can be represented as overidentification test, as this is not some well know fact.

Comment

I misspoke, the idea is to test the validity not the weakness of the instrumental variable.
            I read this post and was asking if I understood it correctly.

https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...he-cmp-command
            I understood that to test the weakness of the instrumental variables I can proceed with a Wald test for example, and to test the validity it is suggested to include the instrumental variables in the equation of the second stage, if the coefficients associated with the instrumental variables are not statistically significant, it could be concluded that the instrumental variables are valid.

... sorry for the confusion.
            Last edited by Dayla Spassio; 19 Sep 2021, 04:08.

Comment

Hello.
              I also have a similar kind of a problem. My dependent variable (y) is binary, the endogenous variable (x1) is binary and the corresponding instrument (z1) is also binary. I am using biprobit model.
              I have written the code like this: biprobit(x1 $xlist z1)(y $xlist x1).
              However, I need to test whether z1 is a strong enough instrument or not. I found lots of information on commands like rivtest but that does not work for biprobit.
              I shall really appreciate if someone can help me out.
              Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
              X