X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a variable out of dummies

Hello,
    I am using Stata 16.0

I'm doing my thesis about the effect of stakeholder diversity on the voluntary turnover of the management in M&As.
    Therefore, I need to calculate have the variable stakeholder diversity. I want to measure this based on the amount of 'attention' stakeholders get, before the M&A and after the M&A. I have data on when the M&A is completed and data on stakeholder diversity.

As I read in another article I can use dummies to "calculate stakeholder diversity, we normalized each of the stakeholder category scores on a zero to one scale, and then took the average of the five normalized scores. Thus, stakeholder diversity ranges from lower (in which the firm is attentive to fewer of its stakeholders) to higher (in which the firm is attentive to more of its stakeholders)."

I now have all the dummies from 0 to 1 and filtered on year. Now I need to sort the dummies into 5 categories so;
    Employee orientation: PCD, PDO, TDO, PBE, ITBE, SCHST, PECP
    Customer orientation: PFC, PDP

and for the rest, but the code is the same I guess.

In all this, the year is relevant because I need to measure the stakeholder diversity before the M&A and after the M&A.
    How can I make 1 variable 'Employee orientation' from the 7 dummies stated above? --> leading to 5 different categories
    Then hereafter I need to make 1 variable "Stakeholder diversity" from the 5 categories (employee-, customer-, supplier-, community-, shareholder- orientation).

I hope my format of asking the question is correct, I did read the FAQ and hope this is good.
    I also hope that someone can help me out... for me, the question is quite difficult but it is also the first time (since 2 weeks) I have worked with STATA. However, I need to learn and develop my skills in this and I really hope someone can explain me this.

Kind regards,
    Daan Schaft

Attached Files
Working...
X