No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subgroup in panel data

Hi all.
    Please, I am using panel data for 500 firms between 2000-2010. I have analysed all 500 firms together using -logit- , but would like to split the 500 firms into 2 groups based on one of my independent variable "X1" ( using the median of X1) . Group 1 = those banks that lie below the median of X1 and group 2 = those banks that lie above the median of X1. Please, how can I do it ? Thanks a lot.

One issue is that some firms may fall into both groups as you have panel data.

Code:
    sum x1, d
    gen hix1= x1> r(p50)

Comment

One quick way is to look up the median manually and use this value like:

Code:
      sum X1, detail
      logit ... if X1 <= `r(p50)'
      logit ... if X1 > `r(p50)'
      EDIT Andrew made a good point. Maybe you first want to compute an average for each firm over all dates and use this value for the median split.
      Best wishes

(Stata 16.1 MP)

Comment

Dear Andrew Musau & Felix Bittmann
        Thanks a lot for your answers.

Please, I have two following questions :
        1-) Please, Why some firms may fall into both groups ? since group 1 will have the banks that equal to and above the median , and group 2 will have the banks that lie below the median.
        2-) Please, do you mean if the median equal to 0.125 the command will be:
        logit ... if X1 <= 0.125 logit ... if X1 > 0.125 Thanks a alot

Comment

1-) Please, Why some firms may fall into both groups ? since group 1 will have the banks that equal to and above the median , and group 2 will have the banks that lie below the median.
          With panel data, firms are observed over several time points, say years, so that an observation is a firm-year. Therefore, if we compute the median based on individual observations, there is a chance that in some years, a firm has values below the median value and in other years, above. As Felix suggests, one way to overcome this is to compute a single average for a firm and then compute the median based on these averages. In this way, you guarantee that a firm is either above or below the median value.

2-) Please, do you mean if the median equal to 0.125 the command will be:
          logit ... if X1 <= 0.125 logit ... if X1 > 0.125 Thanks a alot
          Precisely, the median is a distinct value. All in all

Code:
          bys firmid: egen meanX1= mean(X1)
          egen tag= tag(firmid)
          sum meanX1 if tag, d
          gen hiX1= meanX1> r(p50)
          logit ... if hiX1
          logit ... if !hiX1
          where you replace "firmid" with the name of your panel identifier.
          Last edited by Andrew Musau; 17 May 2021, 16:22.

Comment

Dear Andrew Musau
            Thanks a lot . Much appreciated.
            Now, I understand what you mean for some firms may fall into both groups. Please, as you have mentioned that to overcome this is to compute a single average for a firm and then compute the median based on these averages. please, to be sure , do you mean the commands that will overcome this issue are:
            bys firmid: egen meanX1= mean(X1)
            egen tag= tag(firmid) ? Well, if yes , the hix1 will be the first group yes ? and most importantly , Stata dose know that !hiX1 is <= X1 ? Thanks a lot.

Comment

Correct.

Comment

Thanks a lot Dear Andrew Musau

Comment

Dear Andrew Musau
                  Sorry for bothering you with my questions. Please, if I have missing values in the variable X1 ? Your commands in #5 will still the same?

Comment

Missing values do not affect the calculations. However, they can bias the average upwards or downwards. For example, if your variable is market capitalization and there is a time effect, e.g., firms in the sample generally grew bigger over time, then by averaging nominal values, a firm whose mean is based on the last 8 years in the sample will have an upward bias in its average compared to a similar firm whose mean is calculated over a 20 year period.

Comment

Working...
                    X