Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging us patentsview with IPC codes, multiple ipc codes for one patent_id

I want to calculate the radicalness of patents, so I am working with the backward citation. To calculate the radicalness of patents I am using the OECD radicalness index, which is shown in the figure below. The radicalness of a patent is calculated by dividing the number of IPC codes by the number of all citations.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	radicalness.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	1610024

I am working with the IPC classification data of patentsview and I am merging this dataset with the US patent citation data of patentsview to calculate the radicalness. The problem is that the IPC dataset gives multiple IPC codes for one patent_id. Therefore I can not merge the dataset with the us patent citation dataset. I need to have one IPC code for every patent, How can I achieve this? Attached is a part of my dataset of the IPC codes. I already did drop some variables which are not needed in the analysis. When I can merge the dataset with the US patent citation, I can calculate the radicalness. see picture below for a part of the data, which shows the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-05-14 at 17.51.40.jpeg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1610025

Could you expand this question by telling a bit on what does i) the other data set look like, and ii) if you are able to merge them successfully, what would the resultant data look like?

Comment

The other dataset is the US patentsview database containing citation data. so it includes by what patent a patent is cited. If i am able to merge them i want to calculate the radicalness by counting the times a patent (citation_id) got cited by another patent (patent_id). the IPC codes are used to calculate how many times the patent is cited by different IPC codes (example, the patent (citation_id) is cited by 20 patents from 10 different IPC codes, giving a radicalness of 0,5)

Name:	stata us citation data.PNG
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1610126

Comment

For the second data shown in #3, if you run:

Code:
        duplicates report patent_id
        Did you see any duplicated copies? If not I believe a m:1 merge may work.

Comment

Working...
        X