No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The same code for coefplot yields different results

Dear Stata users,

I'm new here and I have a problem which I'm, unfortunately, unable to solve. I'm plotting odds ratios from logistic regression using coefplot (Stata 16.1). Below is my code for the plot:

Code:
    xi: asdoc logit child1 ln_time i.edu_level i.married i.pgemplst i.cohort  num_s, cluster(pid) nolog or

coefplot, title({bf:Transition to first birth}) subtitle(Odds Ratio) eform drop(ln_time _cons) xlabel(0(1)5) xscale(range(0(1)5)) headings(2.edu_level="{it:Education Level}" 2.married="{it:Marrital Status}" 2.pgemplst="{it:Employment Status}" 2.cohort="{it:Cohort}" num_s=" ") mlabposition(3) mlabgap(*10) mlabsize(3) mlabel(cond(@pval<.01, string(@b,"%9.3f") + "***", cond(@pval<.05, string(@b,"%9.3f") + "**", cond(@pval<.10, string(@b,"%9.3f") + "*", string(@b,"%9.3f"))))) msize(large) legend(off) note("*** p<0.01, ** p<0.05, * p<0.10")
    graph  export first_birth.png, width(1000) replace
    All of the variables are categorical (except for the "number of siblings" which I treat as continuous) and specific values are labeled. The problem is that the first time I generated a plot using this code, I got:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	first_birth.png
Views:	1
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1609942

which is the outcome that I want. However, I made a spelling mistake, so I wanted to correct it. After opening my syntax the next day and running THE SAME code I got:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	first_birth_1.png
Views:	1
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1609943

So it appears that coefplot reads only the label for "numer of siblings" and not for the other variables and it also drops headlines.
    I have no idea why it is so. Please help me if you have a clue.

Regards,
    Honorata
    Last edited by Honorata Bogusz; 16 May 2021, 11:37.

Ok, I know the answer after a lot of trial and error but I do not understand it. For some reason, when I run:

Code:
        logit child1 int_1-int_8 cohort_1-pgemplst_8 i.edu_level i.married i.pgemplst i.cohort  num_s, cluster(pid) nolog or
    without "xi: asdoc" or "xi:", coefplot displays the right labels. Still, if someone knows the answer why it is so, I'll be happy to hear an explanation.

Comment

The xi prefix is outdated syntax. If you type help xi and scroll down a few lines in the output, you will see the following.
      Code:
          +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
          | Most commands in Stata now allow factor variables; see          |
          | fvvarlist. To determine if a command allows factor variables,   |
          | see the information printed below the options table for the     |
          | command.  If the command allows factor variables, it will say   |
          | something like "indepvars may contain factor variables."        |
          |                                                                 |
          | We recommend that you use factor variables instead of xi if a   |
          | command allows factor variables.                                |
          |                                                                 |
          | We include [R] xi in our documentation so that readers can      |
          | consult it when using a Stata command that does not allow       |
          | factor variables.                                               |
          +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
      So your version of Stata is new enough that your i. variables were interpreted as factor variables and the xi: was unneeded.

See help fvvarlist for details.

Comment

Thank you! That explains it.

Comment

Working...
        X