No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create new variables using the median

Dear all.
    Please, How can I create new two variables (Z and Y) using the median of variable (X) ? . I mean I want to create variable Z equal to the values above the median of variable X and Y otherwise. Thanks a lot.

If you

Code:
    summarize X, detail
    then the median of X is accessible afterwards as r(p50) to refer to in later commands. Sometimes it is worth putting this in a scalar for safety say

Code:
    scalar Xmedian = r(p50)
    I don't understand your definition confidently but you seem to be asking for

Code:
    gen Z = cond(X > Xmedian, X, Y)

Comment

Code:
      clear all
      sysuse auto

centile price
      local median=r(c_1)
      generate expensive=price if price>=`median'
      generate cheap=price if price <`median'

sort price
      list price cheap expensive

Comment

Crossed with Nick's answer, but I understood the question differently, in that it should be TWO new variables from ONE source, not ONE new variable from TWO sources. The question was not very precisely written.

Comment

Indeed, "two new variables" could mean #3 although in that case separate would work too.

Comment

Dear Nick Cox & Sergiy Radyakin
            Thanks for your help.
            I mean I have one variable called X and I want to create two variables form X using the median of it. One of them equal to and above the median of it and other one will be the values below the median of it . Thanks

Comment

OK, so either that is already answered by #3 or #5 or you are still unclear. Which is it?

Comment

Dear Nick Cox
                No . Every thing is clear now . I thought that you are still not understand my question. Now OK. Thanks a lot and of Course Thanks a lot Dear Sergiy Radyakin.

Comment

Indeed; it's a parsing question: where do the braces { } go?

I mean I want to create variable Z equal to { the values above the median of variable X and Y otherwise}.

I mean I want to create variable Z equal to the {values above the median of variable X} and Y otherwise.

My contribution to the question was writing
                  Code:
                  separate

Comment

Dear Nick Cox . I am Sorry . YES, it was my mistake. I was meaning for (Y otherwise ) that Y equal to the values below the median of X.

Comment

All fine now.

Comment

Dear Nick Cox
                        Please, I understood the comment from author wrong . Please, I have panel data ( 500 firms , 10 years) . I want to divide the firms into two group based on one of my independent variable "X1" ( using the median of X1) . Group 1 = banks below the median of X1 and group 2 = banks above the median of X1. Please, how can I do it using STATA? Thanks a lot.

Comment

#3 would be my answer to #12, which I don't understand to be a different question.

Comment

Working...
                          X