X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omitted variables when running with xtreg

Hello!

I'm using panel data including the following variables,
    (y variable: abnormal return, cumulative abnormal return)
    (x variable:GovScore log_BM log_Size CAR AR EnvirScore ESGScore Size Lev SocialScore)
    These variable are all focused on a short event window for like a month, hence, especially for the score variable, it maintains the same, hence, that means it is time-invariant?

My goal was to carry out regressions and do the Hausman test to see if I should use fixed effect or random effect. And then hopefully to move on to find the relation between return and ESG scores.

But when I did the code:

This happened
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1608776

I've read across in the thread of using a 'hybrid model' but few questions seems to encounter problems at the early stage of just doing the xtreg coding, hence, does it mean there is fundamentally something wrong with my dataset (my dataset is strongly balanced) and it should be better applied as an OLS model? But this would be very wired since I am carrying out an event study.

And when I did normal regressions, this was the result, does that mean the result is insignificant no matter if it was panel data or not?

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1608775

This relates to a previous question posted on the server:
    https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...edicted-return

Thank you very much,
    Emma
    Hi everyone, I've gone through the Princeton event study stata coding, everything run through (I haven't coded the test bit), but I found that my dataset does

reddit post reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/stata/comme...ng_with_xtreg/

Comment

Emma:
      the issue is probably more trivial: you ran two different models.
      As far as -xtreg,re- is concerned, have you run -xttest0- as a postestimation test to investigate whether a panel-wise effect actually exist?
      Eventually, since you have a relevant number of panels, you should impose clustered standard errors (and switch to the community-contributed command -xtoverid- instead of -hausman- to test which specification is the best one for your dataset).
      Kind regards,
      Carlo
      (StataNow 18.5)

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo Lazzaro View Post
        Emma:
        As far as -xtreg,re- is concerned, have you run -xttest0- as a postestimation test to investigate whether a panel-wise effect actually exist?
        Eventually, since you have a relevant number of panels, you should impose clustered standard errors (and switch to the community-contributed command -xtoverid- instead of -hausman- to test which specification is the best one for your dataset).
        Hi Carlo,

Thank you for your reply, since I'm quite new to stata, could you kindly go into a bit more detail?

This is what I coded.
        Code:
        xtset com_id date, daily

* LM test for the penal wise effect
        xtreg CAR ESGScore Lev log_Size log_BM
        xttest0
        invalid syntax
        r(111);
        Could anyone hint why is this invalid?

Thank you,
        Emma
        Last edited by Emma Ien; 11 May 2021, 02:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma Ien View Post
          Hello!

I'm using panel data including the following variables,
          (y variable: abnormal return, cumulative abnormal return)
          (x variable:GovScore log_BM log_Size CAR AR EnvirScore ESGScore Size Lev SocialScore)
          These variable are all focused on a short event window for like a month, hence, especially for the score variable, it maintains the same, hence, that means it is time-invariant?

My goal was to carry out regressions and do the Hausman test to see if I should use fixed effect or random effect. And then hopefully to move on to find the relation between return and ESG scores.

But when I did the code:

This happened
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1608776[/ATTACH]

I've read across in the thread of using a 'hybrid model' but few questions seems to encounter problems at the early stage of just doing the xtreg coding, hence, does it mean there is fundamentally something wrong with my dataset (my dataset is strongly balanced) and it should be better applied as an OLS model? But this would be very wired since I am carrying out an event study.

And when I did normal regressions, this was the result, does that mean the result is insignificant no matter if it was panel data or not?
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1608775[/ATTACH]

This relates to a previous question posted on the server:
          https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...edicted-return

Thank you very much,
          Emma
          Sorry for the previous confusion, this is what I meant when I talking about omitted variables. Since the CAR represents cumulative abnormal return and being generated from the same return as AR(abnormal return). Just wondering what could go wrong? Other than this regression, the others work just fine.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	1608843

Hello! I'm using panel data including the following variables, (y variable: abnormal return, cumulative abnormal return) (x...
          Last edited by Emma Ien; 11 May 2021, 03:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlo Lazzaro View Post
            Emma:
            Hi Carol,

Thank you for the reply!

My results are all significant for the xttest0.

And for my event windows, it is 57 days (instead of previously mentioned one month), hence I would still be using clustered standard errors?

Thank you,
            Emma

Comment

Emma:
              as per your post #1 it seems that you have 139 panels: that's why it is advisable to invoke clustered standard errors.
              Kind regards,
              Carlo
              (StataNow 18.5)

Comment

Originally posted by Emma Ien View Post

Hi Carlo,

Thank you for your reply, since I'm quite new to stata, could you kindly go into a bit more detail?

This is what I coded.
                Code:
                xtset com_id date, daily

* LM test for the penal wise effect
                xtreg CAR ESGScore Lev log_Size log_BM
                xttest0
                invalid syntax
                r(111);
                Could anyone hint why is this invalid?

Thank you,
                Emma
                see: https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...d-syntax-r-111