No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding mean value of a column based on year

Hi,

I am a newbie with STATA and working with it for my thesis. So, I have a dataset of companies from 2000-2019 with their information such as (industry codes, debt, equity, assets, etc.).

Now, I have grouped the companies based on the SIC codes to find out the number of companies in each industry.

I am having a problem in 2 areas:

1. I want to find the mean value of debt in every industry.
    2. I want to find the mean value of debt for every year for the whole sample

How can I go about doing these?

egen tocount = tag(c_id SIC_ID) (This is what I have for now to count for companies within a specific SIC code).

Thanks in advance!

The command
    Code:
    egen debtbyindustry = mean(debt), by(sic)
    will give you the mean debt by sick industry
    Code:
    egen debtbyyear = mean(debt), by(year)
    will give you mean debt by year, and

Code:
    egen debtbyindsutryyear = mean(debt), by(sic year)
    will give you the mean by the cells formed by the combinations of industry and year.

Comment

Thanks Joro! I did use your formulas and it worked. I now have another query - hoping you can help in this one too.

So I am first creating a variable meanPEby firm = mean(PE), by(c_id)... c_id has the name of all the unique companies in the dataset.

The next step is to divide this into 3 sub-sets... low, medium, and high.. I am calculating the centiles for (33), (67), and (100).. Then, I am recoding PE by using these centile values..

Theoretically, all the 3 sub-sets should be equal in firm size but it is not the case.. Can you understand the problem? What is it that I am doing wrong?

My current code for this problem is:

egen PEbyfirm = mean(PE), by(c_id)
      centile (PEbyfirm), c(33)
      centile (PEbyfirm), c(67)
      centile (PEbyfirm), c(100)
      recode PE (0/19.84421=1) (19.84422/29.15539=2) (29.15540/432.3908=3), gen (PE_ID)
      tab PE_ID
      label var PE_ID "Firm Grouping Division"
      lab define PE_IDlabel 1 "Low-Growth Firms" 2 "Mid-Growth Firms" 3 "High-Growth Firms"
      tabulate PE_ID, generate(dPE_ID)

Comment

There is nothing in your calculation to ensure that the firms are "all the 3 sub-sets should be equal in firm size ," therefore I do not think that there is anything wrong with your code.

If you have to do this often, there is a shorter way:

Code:
        egen PEbyfirm = mean(PE), by(c_id)

xtile tercilePE = PEbyfirm, nq(3) altdef
        my tercilePE should be identical to your PE_ID.

Comment

Thanks Joro again for the help - your xtile code worked! But there's an issue, It is dividing the total observations (45,000) in 3 equal sub-sets.

However, I want it to be divided into 3 sub-sets of equal firms. The total firms are 6,821 (so ideally 2274 in each one). Any advice on how to solve it?

Comment

You can tag one observation per firm, Babar, do the classification, and then extend the classification to the rest of the observations. So try something like this:
            Code:
            egen firmtag = tag(c_id)

xtile temptercilePE = PEbyfirm if firmtag, nq(3) altdef

egen tercilePE = mean(temptercilePE), by(c_id)
            Originally posted by Babar Javed View Post
            Thanks Joro again for the help - your xtile code worked! But there's an issue, It is dividing the total observations (45,000) in 3 equal sub-sets.

However, I want it to be divided into 3 sub-sets of equal firms. The total firms are 6,821 (so ideally 2274 in each one). Any advice on how to solve it?

Comment

Hi again Joro! This has really solved it!! Thanks a lot for all your help

One final small question - after running this line:
              xtile temptercilePE = PEbyfirm if firmtag, nq(3) altdef the number of firms are being reduced by 1 (now I have 6820 firms in equal groups). I can put the last one manually in a group but the code will be checked by the professor (so I have to make it work by the code itself).

Comment

This got resolved - thanks again Joro!

Comment

Working...
                X