Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felix Kaysers #645 you can assign commands to F keys, see chapter 10 of the Users Manual.
    ---------------------------------
    Maarten L. Buis
    University of Konstanz
    Department of history and sociology
    box 40
    78457 Konstanz
    Germany
    http://www.maartenbuis.nl
    ---------------------------------

Comment

• I hope to see the following in Stata 18:
      1. Stepwise regression with multilevel regression commands, specifically melogit
      2. Improvement in tab1/2 command. For example, I can't change format of numbers and decimals
      3. Adopt community coefplot command as default command, with further improvement (e.g., have interactive graphic control window)
      Sincerely regards,
      Abdullah Algarni
      [email protected]

Comment

• Hi Abdullah Algarni. Your 1st request in #647 reminded me of this FAQ on problems with stepwise (and related) selection methods. I'm sharing it in case you had not seen it before. I do agree that making -coefplot- an official Stata command would be nice.

Cheers,
        Bruce
        --
        Bruce Weaver
        Email: [email protected]
        Web: http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/
        Version: Stata/MP 18.0 (Windows)

Comment

• It would be incredibly useful to be able to run contemporary tree based models like XGBoost in Stata. I know this can be done in the Python extension, but it would be more efficient and user-friendly to to it natively in Stata.

Comment

• Jonathan Afilalo I'm not sure I'd agree that a Stata native implementation of XGBoost would be more efficient. It should also be possible to use the existing plug-in capabilities in Stata to link directly to the underlying C/C++ code used by XGBoost without having to invoke the Python interpreter, but reprogramming a highly optimized algorithm in a higher-level language would likely negatively impact efficiency.

Comment

• wbuchanan You are surely right from a programmer's point of view, but I meant more efficient from a user's point of view! I can already picture the beloved Stata GUI interface for XGBoost's inputs and hyperparameters, would be so nice!

Comment

• I would like to be able to use parquet file formats in Stata

Comment

• Helen Strongman I gave a talk at the 2020 Stata North America User's Group conference that addressed that: https://wbuchanan.github.io/stataCon...2020-readit/#/.
                  Jonathan Afilalo if someone writes a wrapper that passes the information to the underlying Python/C++ implementation it shouldn't be terribly difficult to generate the dialog box for it; that said, I've tried creating dialog boxes in the past without a ton of success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruce Weaver View Post
                    Hi Abdullah Algarni. Your 1st request in #647 reminded me of this FAQ on problems with stepwise (and related) selection methods. I'm sharing it in case you had not seen it before.I do agree that making -coefplot- an official Stata command would be nice.

Cheers,
                    Bruce
                    Thank you Bruce Weaver, I totally agree.
                    Sincerely regards,
                    Abdullah Algarni
                    [email protected]

Comment

• My wish-list for Stata 18 are:

1-Increase characters length for variable name more than 100+ characters.
                      2-Insert table into SQL using the variables' labels.
                      3-Working with APIs -without calling Python.
                      4-Frames frlink to have all merge not only matched.
                      5-To have dynamic visuals not only static images, and save images in other formats such as svg.
                      6-GCE modelling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rabih El Habta View Post
                        My wish-list for Stata 18 are:

1-Increase characters length for variable name more than 100+ characters.
                        2-Insert table into SQL using the variables' labels.
                        3-Working with APIs -without calling Python.
                        4-Frames frlink to have all merge not only matched.
                        5-To have dynamic visuals not only static images, and save images in other formats such as svg.
                        6-GCE modelling.
                        3 -- I agree that increased support for APIs would be great. However, you can call command-line functions such as cURL to query APIs without any need to call Python.

5 -- As of Stata 14, you can export visuals to SVG.

Comment

• Is there any updates when the Stata 18 is arriving?

Comment

• Pystata support for moving data to and from the new, faster, better Apache Arrow / pyarrow backend for DataFrames in pandas 2.0.

Pystata currently does not recognize the pandas pd.NA values as numeric, so I have to manually replace with np.nan which defeats some of the purpose. Pulling data back from Stata, there’s currently an extra step to recast from NumPy-backed to PyArrow-backed.

Also: I second the request for parquet file format.
                            Last edited by Michael Harris differentiated; 05 Apr 2023, 04:44.

Comment

• Ggplot "repel"-style labeling for overlapping labels in graphs, particularly for scatterplots

https://cran.r-project.org/web/packa...s/ggrepel.html
                              https://ggrepel.slowkow.com/articles/examples.html

(I know about mlabvpos but it never looks as nice as I want it to without a lot of manual tinkering. I usually end up using R.)

Comment

• Originally posted by David Flood View Post
                                Ggplot "repel"-style labeling for overlapping labels in graphs, particularly for scatterplots
                                (I know about mlabvpos but it never looks as nice as I want it to without a lot of manual tinkering. I usually end up using R.)
                                David Flood I second your proposal. Not only scatterplot need this technique, but also pieplot, scoreplot, loadingplot......

Comment

Working...
                                X