Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And I never said that R's graphic system is better than Stata.
    Seriously?

Comment

• Thank you Nick Cox.

Comment

• Great. Now let's all have a nice cup of coffee (or tea), shall we?

Click image for larger version

Name:	adomug-back.png
Views:	1
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	1631912
        --
        Bruce Weaver
        Email: [email protected]
        Web: http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/
        Version: Stata/MP 18.0 (Windows)

Comment

• Some recent discussion on Twitter prompts this suggestion. Would it be possible to compute a set of alternative parameter covariance estimates based on just a single estimate of the model? For instance, suppose one wanted to compare estimates obtained using vce(robust), vce(hc2), and vce(hc3) after regress without having to estimate the model three times.

One idea might be to allow a vce(...) option for the estimation "replay"
          Code:
          regress price mpg, vce(robust)
          regress, vce(hc2)
          regress, vce(hc3)
          In some cases (e.g. linear regression with moderate-sized samples) the advantages of such an approach relative to multiple separate estimations might be small. But for estimation problems that are more computationally demanding such an option may prove valuable.

Comment

• gmm support for
            1. parameter range such as (0,1).
            2. technique("nm")

Comment

• It would be nice if under circumstances like the following
              Code:
              . generate string40 firm = "`f'"
              too many variables specified
              r(103);
              Stata were to include a list of what it had considered to be variables:
              Code:
              . generate string40 firm = "`f'"
              2 variables specified where 1 are allowed: string40 firm
              r(103);
              It's easy for the reader to count a single known variable and not realize that a keyword has been misspecified and thus treated as a second variable.

Second choice would be to expand the message to something like
              Code:
              too many variables specified, or something has been treated as a variable name that was intended to be something else
              In either case, Stata acknowledges that its judgement about the programmer's intent may be at imperfect.

Comment

• Coarsened Exact Matching

Comment

• Re #157: ssc describe cem. What functionality are you missing from this?

Comment

• Post #157 apparently reflects the following topic.

https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...exact-matching

Comment

• Integrate Do-file editor into main interface, like command window, variable window, etc. And set its default position at right to replace Variables & Properties.

Comment

• and here is a vote against #160

Comment

• Originally posted by Chen Samulsion View Post
                          Integrate Do-file editor into main interface, like command window, variable window, etc. And set its default position at right to replace Variables & Properties.
                          I would dislike this very much. R Studio and SAS both integrate editors (at least by default) and it is a much nicer experience to have the editor in a separate window.

Comment

• Re #160: I actually think Stata's windowing is among the best in the software universe. You can move any of the windows to wherever is most convenient for you--even change it from one use to the next depending on what other applications/files you need to have open while you are working on a particular project. For example, I have two screens, and if I don't need to look at other files while I'm working in Stata, it's great to have the Results window on one screen, with Command right below it, and the do-file editor and browser open on the other. But if I need to work with some other files, I might vary that and move the do-file editor over to the screen with the Results window and maybe close the Properties window, so as to give me an unobstructed view of the other files I need to look at. I just wish other software packages offered the same flexibility!

The only "integration" of the do-file editor with the main program I would appreciate is this: for my work flow it would be great if when I launch Stata by double-clicking on a data file icon in a directory, the do-file editor would open with its working directory set to that directory, rather than whatever directory I last saved a do-file in. But I also recognize that might work badly for other people's work flow, depending on how they organize their file systems. All in all, I think the flexibility that Stata offers in this regard is a great strength.

Comment

• I am struggling in how to post a query, just rejoined, used the list years ago, please forgive the intrusion. I am failing to access stata documentation in stata, I am getting an error "hmmmm, cannot reach this page", how do I solve this problem.

Comment

• #164 - This is not an easy question to answer. Please scroll to the top of this page and in the line that says
                                Code:
                                Home > Forums > Forums for Discussing Stata > General
                                click on "General" and on the page that opens, click on the button labelled "+ New Topic" and create a new topic with a descriptive title containing your question.

In particular, explain exactly what you are doing to try to "access Stata documentation in Stata" that leads to the error message.

Comment

Working...
                                X