No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omitted variables that are needed

Hello,
    I am working on a meta regression. For testing for publication bias I am conducting the FAT-PET-PEESE procedure. For that I generated (among others) the variables SE and SEinv, which is standard error and inverted standard error. When I regress, SEinv is omitted due to collinearity. But for the procedure I need also SEinv. Is therer a way to supress the omission (not only the display option "noomitted")?
    I would be really grateful for help.
    Bes regards
    Janik

How did you create SEinv?
    ---------------------------------
    Maarten L. Buis
    University of Konstanz
    Department of history and sociology
    box 40
    78457 Konstanz
    Germany
    http://www.maartenbuis.nl

Comment

I created an extra column in my excel file that is just one divided by the respective SE value. But also when I generate it in stata with
      Code:
      gen SEinv = 1/SE
      it does not work

Comment

When a variable is perfectly collinear with another variable or together with multiple variables (and I assume this is the case, because otherwise Stata would not omit the variable), there is simply no way to include the variable in a model. How could you possible estimate the certeris paribus of a variable if that varialbe is a linear of other variables?

Comment

Felix Scholl The inverse is a non-linear transformation, so normally you don't run into that problem, and you can add both. It may be that all standard errors are in a range, that the inverse is so close to linear that it becomes impossible. However, since we don't have the data there is no way for us to determine that. Janik could look at the Statalist FAQ (top of the page in the black bar) to see how he can give us an extract of the data.
          Maarten L. Buis
          University of Konstanz
          Department of history and sociology
          box 40
          78457 Konstanz
          Germany
          http://www.maartenbuis.nl

Comment

I rearranged some variables and out of sudden it worked out now. I still don't know what the problem was, but thanks anyway!

Comment

Working...
            X