No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bootstrap Error: Command "_check_dots" unrecoginzed

Hi All,

I'm working on a project and I want to use bootstrapped standard errors. I'm using the oaxaca_rif command from Fernando Rios-Avila to do OB-Decomposition with Recentered Influence Functions. For simplicity, I'm using the example do file that he provides at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/embd3cax2...E_767daHa?dl=0. I use the following code:

Code:
     use http://fmwww.bc.edu/RePEc/bocode/o/oaxaca.dta, clear
     gen wage=exp(lnwage)
     drop if wage==.

oaxaca_rif lnwage educ exper tenure ,rif(iqr(90 10)) by(female) rwlogit(educ exper tenure)
    est sto m1 
    bootstrap, reps(500) seed(101):  oaxaca_rif lnwage educ exper tenure ,rif(iqr(90 10)) by(female)  rwlogit(educ exper tenure)
    est sto m1a
    When I do this, I get the following error:

Code:
    . bootstrap, reps(500) seed(101):  oaxaca_rif lnwage educ exper tenure ,rif(iqr(90 10)) 
    > by(female)  rwlogit(educ exper tenure)
    command _check_dots is unrecognized
    r(199);

I thought that this might be because I was using the user created function oaxaca_rif, so I went to the stata example on their website (https://www.stata.com/features/overv...nd-estimation/) to try to replicate it. When I run their example, I get the same error message:

Code:
    . webuse auto
    (1978 Automobile Data)

. bootstrap r(p50), reps(1000) seed(1234): summarize mpg, detail
    command _check_dots is unrecognized
    r(199);

Do you know what is happening to cause my bootstrap command to crash? I've checked, and my Stata is at the March 31 Revision, currently the most recent version.

Thank you for any help in advance.

webuse auto
    bootstrap r(p50), reps(1000) seed(1234): summarize mpg, detail
    This works for me in Stata 16, Windows 10. Try updating your Stata and see if the problem persists. If it does, you may consider reinstalling Stata before contacting technical support.

Code:
    update all

Comment

Jake:
      just like Andrew, I was not able to replicate your problem (either with or without dots):
      Code:
      . sysuse auto.dta
      (1978 Automobile Data)

. bootstrap r(p50), reps(1000) seed(1234): summarize mpg, detail
      (running summarize on estimation sample)

Warning:  Because summarize is not an estimation command or does not set e(sample), bootstrap has no way to determine which
                observations are used in calculating the statistics and so assumes that all observations are used.  This means that no
                observations will be excluded from the resampling because of missing values or other reasons.

If the assumption is not true, press Break, save the data, and drop the observations that are to be excluded.  Be sure that
                the dataset in memory contains only the relevant data.

Bootstrap replications (1000)
      ----+--- 1 ---+--- 2 ---+--- 3 ---+--- 4 ---+--- 5
      ..................................................    50
      ..................................................   100
      ..................................................   150
      ..................................................   200
      ..................................................   250
      ..................................................   300
      ..................................................   350
      ..................................................   400
      ..................................................   450
      ..................................................   500
      ..................................................   550
      ..................................................   600
      ..................................................   650
      ..................................................   700
      ..................................................   750
      ..................................................   800
      ..................................................   850
      ..................................................   900
      ..................................................   950
      ..................................................  1000

Bootstrap results                               Number of obs     =         74
                                                      Replications      =      1,000

command:  summarize mpg, detail
              _bs_1:  r(p50)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                   |   Observed   Bootstrap                         Normal-based
                   |      Coef.   Std. Err.      z    P>|z|     [95% Conf. Interval]
      -------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
             _bs_1 |         20   .9584585    20.87   0.000     18.12146    21.87854

. bootstrap r(p50), reps(1000) seed(1234)  nodots: summarize mpg, detail

Warning:  Because summarize is not an estimation command or does not set e(sample), bootstrap has no way to determine which
                observations are used in calculating the statistics and so assumes that all observations are used.  This means that no
                observations will be excluded from the resampling because of missing values or other reasons.

If the assumption is not true, press Break, save the data, and drop the observations that are to be excluded.  Be sure that
                the dataset in memory contains only the relevant data.

Bootstrap results                               Number of obs     =         74
                                                      Replications      =      1,000

command:  summarize mpg, detail
              _bs_1:  r(p50)

|   Observed   Bootstrap                         Normal-based
                   |      Coef.   Std. Err.      z    P>|z|     [95% Conf. Interval]
      -------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
             _bs_1 |         20   .9584585    20.87   0.000     18.12146    21.87854

Kind regards,
      Carlo
      (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Dear Jake
        As a side not on the advice with bootstrap. Please download the latest update from SSC using "ssc install rif, replace". As I did a couple of extra modifications to the code since the presentation.
        All examples in the help file should be replicable.
        Fernando

Comment

Hi All,

Thank you for the responses. I followed your recommendations and uninstalled Stata then reinstalled it. I've updated to the newest edition and installed the newest rif package. This seems to have solved the problem, and I'm no longer getting the error code. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X