No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Export output of levelsof

Hi Statalists!

This will be my first posts, but I have been lurking around this forum for a while looking at answers provided to questions similar to ones I have had about Stata.
    Currently I am working with a dataset with a large number of stock trading observations. After having cleaned up part of the data I now wish to extract all the unique cusip id's (= a string variable). Using: levelsof cusip, clean Stata shows the unique values I wish to export. However when trying to get Stata to export this into an excel file via putexcel (A1) = (levelsof cusip, clean) is gives an error saying levelsof not found. I suspect that this means that it it not possible to export the results of levelsof via this method but am not sure as I am still quite new to Stata. I hope someone here is able to help me export the unique id's and enlarge my understanding of Stata.

Kind regards,

Pim

Hi Pim
    Try the following:
    Code:
    levelsof cusip, matrow(cusid)
    putexcel (a1)=cusid
    This way levelsof stores unique variables in a matrix that can then be exported to excel.
    HTH
    Fernando

Comment

Fernando Rios gives excellent advice, but for "unique variables" read "distinct values".

Comment

Hi FernandoRios,
        Thank you for your swift reply, and Nick for your comment. Unfortunately using matrow with cusip is not an option as my cusip variable is a string variable. Converting it without loss of data is not possible as it contains nonnumeric data. In order to later match the cusip values with option prices I need to have the exact match. I do not need to export it to excel perse. I can also just store it as a text file with all the distinct value's of cusip on seperate rows. I know there must be a way to do so instead of copying it manually from the output Stata gives in the result screen.

Comment

Code:
          frame put cusip, into(Excel)
          frame Excel: bys cusip: keep if _n==1
          frame Excel: export excel cusip using myfile
          frame drop Excel

Comment

Hi Andrew Musau ,

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunatly I have Stata 15.1 and from what I've read the frame command only works in Stata 16. I've created a separate file with only the cusip values after filtering and sorted them. Now I need to figure out a way to only keep them if it is the first time they are mentioned. (This is what I assume your suggested code does). Whenever I try to do so with the keep if _n==1 it only keeps the first value however, not the first time a cusip observation appears in the file.

Comment

Please see https://www.statalist.org/forums/help#version on declaring versions before the latest.

Code:
              preserve
              bysort cusip : keep if _n == 1
              export excel cusip using myfile
              restore
              should work in 15.

It's not clear why you care when a code was first mentioned but this preserves that information in terms of observation numbers. If you want to use a time variable instead, then fine.

Code:
              preserve
              gen long obsno = _n 
              bysort cusip (obsno) : keep if _n == 1
              export excel cusip obsno using myfile
              restore

Last edited by Nick Cox; 29 Mar 2020, 09:10.

Comment

Hi Nick Cox

Thank you for your reply. I'll be sure to mention the Stata version I'm using next time I start a discussion. Thank you for the code you mentioned, it indeed provided me with the output I wanted. Sorry for my vague wording, I do not care when a code is first mentioned. I assumed this is what Stata looked at after sorting the values, but I am still new to reading Stata code, and it seems I was wrong there. Using help bysort has given me more insight in the functionality of the code.

Thanks again for the suggestion everybody.

Comment

No;

Code:
                  sort cusip
                  might be satisfied by many observation orders. If I feed to sort

A B A B A B B A

then it's manifest that

A A A A B B B B

should be what the result looks like, but Stata is by default indifferent to where the As and Bs came from. That is why there is a stable option to insist that original order is respected.

Comment

Working...
                  X