Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to "export delimited" with variable labels instead of variable names?

Dear Statalisters,

I'm quite new to Stata and I've run into what seems like a very "basic" problem. I would like to export my dataset from Stata to a csv file, but instead of having variable names on the first row, I need to have variable labels. I know that this is possible for exporting to excel with the code below, but for creating text files this option doesn't seem to exist. Am I missing something here? Is there any easy way to "go around" this? Of course the excel file can then be saved as a csv file, but I'm trying to avoid any additional steps here.

export excel using "test.xlsx", firstrow(varlabels)

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
    Elina

If you have fewer observations than variables, then you can save your variable labels to an extra string variable and then use them in your new environment -- with a loop there to put them where desired. There could be -- should be -- better work-arounds, so this is just one idea.

Code:
    gen varlabel = "" 

local i = 1 
    foreach v of var * { 
          replace varlabel = "`: var label `v''" in `i' 
          local ++I 
    }

Comment

Should be

Code:
      local ++i
      in #2.

Comment

Hi Nick,

Thank you for this suggestion! For now this should work as I don't have as many observations as variables, but this may change in the future as the dataset in question is a register with new data potentially coming in. So, if there are any other work-arounds, I'd be happy to hear!

Best regards,
        Elina

Comment

This is not the sort of thing I typically want to do, but I am surprised to infer that there isn't an easy work-around. Assuming access to MS Excel, or a program that can read its spreadsheet file formats, export excel following by saving as .csv might be another one.

Comment

Here is a trick that exploits the capability of export excel

Code:
            sysuse auto, clear
            export excel myfile,  firstrow(varlabels) replace
            import excel myfile.xls, clear
            export delimited myfile, novarnames replace

Comment

Super, a big thank you both Nick and Andrew for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X