Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catplot with bars over different sectors - make each bar's percentage add up to 100%

Dear All,

I generated a catplot with the following code:

Code:
    catplot question1, over(sector) stack asyvar percent 
    blabel(bar, position(center) format(%3.1f) size(half_tiny)) 
    ysize(20) xsize(20)
    The graph shows the percentage of each answer of a survey question for different sectors (sectors 15-72, each bar represent one sector). As shown in the graph attached, I found out the percentage of each bar does not add up to 100%, I guess it's because Stata count all of the sectors together as 100% instead of each individual one as 100%.

I also tried generating the graph for each sector separately then combine the individual graphs together, it worked, but the graph with over 30 subgraphs is not as good-looking as just having bars as each sector. So I still would like to use the below graph form. I'm wondering if there is a way to make the percentage of each bar to 100%.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you very much for your time!

Best,
    Craig
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 4.47.24 PM.png
Views:	1
Size:	675.0 KB
ID:	1537241

catplot is from SSC, as you are asked to explain (FAQ Advice #12).

percent with no argument means % of all observations shown. Nothing needs to be guessed or found out here: this is documented in the help. I think you want percent(sector)

Comment

Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for your help! It worked perfectly. I'll read the documentation more carefully in the future.

Thank you,
      Craig

Comment

Working...
      X