No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESTIMATE Workshop at Michigan State in early June

Hi All:

I'm not sure about the proper protocol when advertising workshops on Statalist. I suspect someone will set me straight if I'm out of bounds. ;-)

Since 2013, I have been given a three-day course on econometric methods, along with Tim Vogelsang, at MSU. It is based on Stata and is focused on understanding when methods work and how to get Stata to implement them.

Incidentally, ESTIMATE stands for "Early Summer Tutorial In Modern Applied Tools of Econometrics."

This year, we are expanding the course half a day to allow for more topics that have been requested in the past. The dates this year, in East Lansing, are June 5 through June 7, with an optional Stata session from 8:30 to 12:30 on June 8. This is a very nice time in mid-Michigan and the MSU campus is beautiful.

The course is focused on "microeconometrics" but Tim gives some lectures on time series and large-T panel data.

One reason I'm posting here is because I have read and tried to help with lots of Stata user questions on this Forum. I know it will sound immodest, but I believe something like half of the questions I answer on this site are answered in the ESTIMATE short course. And there's much more!

This year, if there's enough interest, we might offer a streaming option (likely, Zoom), as it is difficult and expensive for some people to travel to East Lansing. (But it's worth it: a nice reception on Friday night hosted by Tim and a soccer match Saturday organized by me).

Tim and I donate our time for the course. All of the proceeds go toward supporting the PhD students in economics.

Here is the link to the site. It shows the list of topics and and detailed schedule, and has several FAQs.

MSU ESTIMATE

If you have any questions, please leave them here or send me an email.

This year, if there's enough interest, we might offer a streaming option (likely, Zoom), as it is difficult and expensive for some people to travel to East Lansing.
    Jeff Wooldridge I really hope this happens. As an example, there are a lot of interesting courses/seminars offered by Statistical Horizons and Timberlake Consultants, but there never seems to be much consideration for a streaming option. Regardless, I might try and make it out to this event, I just wish there was more of a push to extend these type of events (seminars on advanced topics) to those of us that find it difficult to work around work and family schedules.

Comment

Thanks Justin. I believe we'll try to make it happen.

Comment

Great. Thanks, Jeff!

Comment

Bumping this thread for those who haven't seen it. We will be offering a Zoom option for those who'd like to participate remotely.

In the past week I've seen several questions that will be answered at ESTIMATE. ;-)

Comment

Working...
          X