Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing for outliers and high leverage observations in survey data.

Hi Everyone,

I was curious if there was a best approach to searching for and dealing with outliers and high leverage observations in survey data. Unfortunately,
    Code:
    predict dfbeta, dfbeta
    and
    Code:
    predict cooksd, cooksd
    do not work with survey weighting. Is this type of regression diagnostic imperative when you have thousands of observations?

Thanks,

David.

I've approached this kind of thing by calculating a sort of a do it yourself dfbeta. I think I recall a previous StataList thread about doing this with -jackknife-, but I've done something like this:

Code:
    sysuse auto
    gen b1drop1 = .
    gen b2drop1 = .
    forval i = 1/`=_N' {
      regress price weight headroom if (_n != `i' )
      replace b1drop1 = _b[weight]  in `i'
      replace b2drop1 = _b[headroom] in `i'
    }
    The more filled-out version of this calculates each b*drop1 as a deviation from the full sample values.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Lacy View Post
      I've approached this kind of thing by calculating a sort of a do it yourself dfbeta. I think I recall a previous StataList thread about doing this with -jackknife-, but I've done something like this:

Code:
      sysuse auto
      gen b1drop1 = .
      gen b2drop1 = .
      forval i = 1/`=_N' {
      regress price weight headroom if (_n != `i' )
      replace b1drop1 = _b[weight] in `i'
      replace b2drop1 = _b[headroom] in `i'
      }
      The more filled-out version of this calculates each b*drop1 as a deviation from the full sample values.
      This looks really helpful, thanks Mike. On a follow-up note: I've noticed that it is common when I have 10,000+ observations that several of them will have higher DF betas or Cook's d scores; but the values for these tend to be very tiny (e.g., 0.002) but greater than the 4/sqrt(n) cutoff. How concerning should these be?

Comment

If I recall correctly, the dfbetas from Stata are standardized, so a "large" one could be large in relative but not absolute terms. I wouldn't worry unless it actually had a substantively meaningful effect on the coefficient. I would be interested, though, to find out what was unusual about that particular observation.

Comment

Working...
        X