Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is "reshape long" limited by the number of "i"s: too many variables specified

Hi everyone,
    I am trying to run a reshape long command with 10 variables specified as i (below command). Interestingly when the number of variables specified as i exceeds 10 variables, stata does not reshape the variable generating an error: "too many variables specified." When the number of vars in i is less than 10 then the command works. Is there any way to fix this. I am using stata 16. Thanks.

reshape long spousal_CG@ r@073 r@074 r@076 CR@ cogfunction@ r@082 r@223 r@129 r@216 r@001 r@053 r@adla r@iadla r@iwstat r@agey_m r@cesd r@shlt r@mstat h@itot r@jstres r@conde r@bmi r@smoken r@smokev r@drinkd r@nhmliv r@wtresp, i(hhidpn rabyear radyear ragender rahispan raracem raedyrs raeduc raehsamp raestrat OPN OPN_SP) j(wave)

Do you really need all those variables to uniquely identify an observation? I think not. If you are concerned isthat the variables be retained in the long dataset, that happens automatically for any variable that isn't reshaped. I suspect the only variable you need for i() is hhidpn, because I think you have survey data of individuals (identified by hhidpn) over several waves (to be identified by wave).

Comment

Thansk William for the clarification. The below code deos the same job:

reshape long spousal_CG@ r@073 r@074 r@076 CR@ cogfunction@ r@082 r@223 r@129 r@216 r@001 r@053 r@adla r@iadla r@iwstat r@agey_m r@cesd r@shlt r@mstat h@itot r@jstres r@conde r@bmi r@smoken r@smokev r@drinkd r@nhmliv r@wtresp, i(hhidpn) j(wave)

Comment

Working...
      X