No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error in strdup

Dear All,

I am trying to understand the exact reason the string duplication fails sometimes.
    The documentation illustrates some possible uses:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	strdup.png
Views:	1
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1527219

Yet, when I run this (highlighted) example in Stata I am getting an error message:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	strdup2.png
Views:	1
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	1527220

For the moment, I've noticed that enclosing the string duplication in parenthesis helps and can be used as a workaround.
    I am also not sure whether the order matters in Num*String or String*Num, since Num*String seems to work fine.

The above is from Stata MP 16.0 (Windows 64-bit), but the same was earlier observed in Stata 15.1.

Thank you for any comments on the above behavior,
    Sergiy

The problem is not in duplicating strings, but rather with the display command, which is notorious for trying - and sometimes failing - to identify expressions and replace them with their evaluated values. Here are three more examples along the lines of yours.
    Code:
    . display `""hello"*3"'
    "hello"*3

. display `="hello"*3'
    hellohellohello not found
    r(111);

. display "`="hello"*3'"
    hellohellohello
    When you remove the display command from the process, you can see that the string duplication works as documented when the expression is parsed as intended.
    Code:
    . local s1 = 3*"hello"

. local s2 = "hello"*3

. macro list _s1 _s2
    _s1:            hellohellohello
    _s2:            hellohellohello

Comment

William, thank you for your thoughts.

Regarding the examples, I don't have any problem with the 1st and the 3rd examples you provided.

Code:
      . display `""hello"*3"'
      "hello"*3

. display "`="hello"*3'"
      hellohellohello
      I might agree to #2 as well, seeing how #3 works. Yet I don't get the difference between expressions 3*"A" and "A"*3 as seen by the display command. I have tried to find other examples, but can't, e.g. list command does not evaluate the expression 3*"A" and complains whichever way it is written, yet the if command is always evaluating the expression correctly, again, regardless which way it is written. I don't see why display is anything special here. For me it is a bug 🐛 in the display command then.

Thank you, Sergiy

Comment

A close reading of [R] display tells us two of the many allowed display directives are
        "double-quoted string"
        [%fmt] [=] exp
        Your problem can be solved by being explicit to display that you are presenting an expression to evaluate rather than a double-quoted string followed by something else.
        Code:
        . display "hello"*3
        hello*3 invalid name
        r(198);

. display = "hello"*3
        hellohellohello
        While I am not fond of the display command its problems arise from attempting to infer more than it can do successfully, rather than from a bug. It should have required the "=" before an expression, but that would have made the interactive use cumbersome to accommodate the very small percentage of edge cases. In your case, display treats "hello" as a string to display (note that it is not in red) and since the next tokens are not within a string, guesses that they form an expression to be evaluated, and throws an error in evaluating this expression, consistent with the error thrown by
        Code:
        . local s = * 3
        *3 invalid name
        r(198);
        Statalist is rife with examples of display presenting unexpected results. My own preference as a programmer is to evaluate expressions into local macros and then present the results within a quoted string that includes the dereference of the local macro. That way, display isn't trying to infer what is wanted.

Comment

Working...
        X