Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generating a 95th percentile indicator variable

Hi, I am a senior in college working on an economics thesis.

I am trying to generate a dummy variable which would yield 1 if the observation is in the 95th percentile of the variable and a 0 otherwise. The variable in question is "inflation" and the new variable would be named "extremeinflation". The data is panel, not sure if this would make a difference in the syntax that I need.

I believe I should be using the command pctile in some kind of manner but I am confused on the exact syntax that I should be using.

Anything helps!

Thank you very much.

The data is panel, not sure if this would make a difference in the syntax that I need.
    Well, it's hard to say because your question is not stated clearly enough. Do you want a 95th percentile separately within each panel, or do you want an overall 95th percentile for inflation across all panels? The syntax would, indeed, be different.

Comment

Clyde Schechter made a good point. In addition, I guess you want an indicator for being above, or above or equal to, the 95th percentile. I would not recommend the terminology “in the 95th percentile” for either.

Comment

Sorry for not being clear. My inflation data is panel and I am only looking to find the observations that occur when equal to or greater than the 95th percentile. So I would be looking an overall 95th percentile across all panels.

Comment

summarize, detail will give you the 95th percentile after which you create an indicator.

Comment

Thank you, Nick!

Comment

Working...
            X