Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As usual Richard Williams words are wise.

To my students I tell them, be careful about doing individual tests of significance on the different coefficients of a polynomial form. The reason is that you're interested in the partial effect of the variable being considered, not the significance of each coefficient. The appropriate test is an F test of joint significance for the actual parameters. But if you're looking into the actual partial effect, you will have to look at it at many different values of the independent variable. It may be insignificantly different from zero for some and significantly different from zero for others.

If you want to analyze the significance of the individual terms of a quadratic function, you would have to compare the partial effect of the quadratic form at many different values of the independent variable to that of a linear function (to see the significance of the squared term), or those of the model where you just include the squared term (to analyze the significance of the coefficient on the level term of the quadratic function). I also tell them that decisions of entering a quadratic functional form should be made on the basis of data exploration if there is evidence of a nonlinear relationship between the dependent and independent variable of interest.
    Alfonso Sanchez-Penalver

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Williams View Post
      Centering can make regression coefficients easier to understand. In the original metric, X = 0 may be an unlikely or even impossible value. After centering, X = 0 stands for an "average" individual.

https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam/stats2/l53.pdf

I wrote that handout because students would say things like "After you control for the interaction of female*income, female no longer has an effect". Or worse, "the effect of female actually changes sign!" Statements like that reflect a failure to understand what the main effects of a variable actually mean once interactions are added to a model.

Even if you don't use centering, I think a discussion of it may help people to better understand how interaction effects work.

I agree that, if you are using margins, centering is not really necessary.
      Many thanks! Quite ueful!

Comment

Working...
      X